Tokai Springy Sound ID help please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belmike

Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased this 1981 Springy with original case, but the model sticker is long gone....
The pickguard is stamped A with E pickups.
The body has a few stamps which are: 10=3 and 10=4YS along with another Y stamp. Neck is stamped 10=4.

Body appears 2 piece with a centre join.
I'm not sure if it's nitro, but there are splits and shrinkage around some screws, and a lot of lacquer lines on the grain when held in the right light and a lot of fine cracking by the tuners on the face side - please see the pictures.

The neck seems like a C but could be a soft V ?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated I'm not a guitar expert by any means.
Thanks very much
Michael

Congratulations on your new guitar!

I’m a newbie here but I’ll give it a shot :) I can’t see any pics, but based on the description I think it’s a ST 60. The E pickups mean it’s St60 and above, the 2 piece body tell us it’s either 60 or 80, and the C neck tells me it’s not an 80. One sure way to know it’s not an 80 is to do an acetone check for nitro paint. Take a little acetone on a cotton bud/swab and rub it on the paint so where you don’t mind messing it up (under pickguard or so). If there is a reaction it’s nitro and you have a st80. If not; it’s an st 60.

Do wait for the experts to reply though, I’ve only started off collecting Tokais recently. Enjoy the guitar!

Hi thanks very much. If you right click on the image link and then open in a new tab the pictures should come up thanks.

Hi guys,

You don't mention whether the fingerboard is Rosewood or Maple?
At any rate, if your Body code reads " 10=4 YS Y" it is not an ST-80
Truss rod adjuster should be Philips Head.
Serial number should be 7 digit starting between 1012000 and 1024000.
The 2 piece body, 'A' electronics and colour would narrow it down to either an ST-60 or ST-70.
It is the neck construction that will determine the Model now.

regards
Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

You don't mention whether the fingerboard is Rosewood or Maple?
Truss rod adjuster should be Philips Head.
Serial number should be 7 digit starting between 1012000 and 1024000.
The 2 piece body, 'A' electronics and colour would narrow it down to either an ST-60 or ST-70.
It is the neck construction that will determine the Model now.

regards
Peter Mac

Thanks Peter,
its a Phillips head. Maple neck. The serial is 102 1048
Ill try an upload some pictures.

So based on what Peter is saying, it is looking like a 1981 ST60 YS (yellow sunburst).

An ST60 would have a poly finish.

Interesting production code. Never seen one with two “=“ codes.

I have an ST100 that says "8=3&4 A".

Dq9iZaM.jpg

Interesting guitar.

1981 catalog

Google translate:

ST60・YS ¥60,000
Slim maple 1-piece U-shape neck and waist-cut body provide unrivaled playability. The tricky arming sound produced by the special gold tremolo unit is attractive. The finest parts are used for the hardware. A high quality Vintage model with an amazing sense of balance and wide expressiveness

y91sGH1.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26104

Sigmania said:
1981 catalog

Google translate:

ST60・YS ¥60,000
Slim maple 1-piece U-shape neck and waist-cut body provide unrivaled playability. The tricky arming sound produced by the special gold tremolo unit is attractive. The finest parts are used for the hardware. A high quality Vintage model with an amazing sense of balance and wide expressiveness

y91sGH1.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26104

That's a fantastic help - thanks for you time and efforts - much appreciated. So yes ST60 it is.

You’re welcome. That translation isn’t perfect from the catalog. It shouldn’t say gold tremolo. That’s probably supposed to be the word old or something like that.

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy the guitar.

And Peter Mac, how did you know it wasn’t an ST80 with just the code? Does that Y mean something?

Peter Mac said:

Thanks as always.

Latest posts

Back