What model do I have?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought this one and while it will take a few months to reach me I was hoping you could help me identify the precise model. It doesn’t have a stamp.

Here are some key features:
1. Serial number 0016203
2. Butterfly string tree
3. Kluson tuners
4. No teardrop or skink stripe
5. Laminate rosewood fretboard
6. Allen key style truss adjustment
7. FO colour with “FO” stamp in cavity
8. Matching neck and body stamps 1=1
9. A style pickups (E stamps)
10. U neck

My very limited knowledge tells me it should be a ‘64 Oldies Model as per the 1981 catalogue. Except that (1) the serial number is from 1980 (2) it doesn’t have a Phillips style truss adjustment like the catalogue shows the ‘64 Oldies having. But, these might be small inconsistencies that are well within what Tokai guitars present. What do you think?

With regard to the actual model, it must be either the St 60 or 80 because of the pickups. Between the two the only difference is poly vs lacquer, and as per the 1981 catalogue the 80 has a V neck and 60 has a U neck. Considering this, I expect it to be an ST-60. What do you think?

ea5cc8_369c5321cfca4a6189f5f6cae4440358~mv2.png

ea5cc8_f4dbd291aeaa4fcf9436284253bec0f7~mv2.png

ea5cc8_edfcf82a28c842dab4f0e121fd532272~mv2.png

ea5cc8_e67bc3442053468e81aaac7cff72dd56~mv2.png

siamackz said:
I just bought this one and while it will take a few months to reach me I was hoping you could help me identify the precise model. It doesn’t have a stamp.

1. Serial number 0016203
2. Butterfly string tree
3. Kluson tuners
10. U neck

My very limited knowledge tells me it should be a ‘64 Oldies Model as per the 1981 catalogue. Except that (1) the serial number is from 1980 (2) it doesn’t have a Phillips style truss adjustment like the catalogue shows the ‘64 Oldies having. But, these might be small inconsistencies that are well within what Tokai guitars present. What do you think?

With regard to the actual model, it must be either the St 60 or 80 because of the pickups. Between the two the only difference is poly vs lacquer, and as per the 1981 catalogue the 80 has a V neck and 60 has a U neck. Considering this, I expect it to be an ST-60. What do you think?

Well....is it poly or nitro?

siamackz said:

1. Serial number 0016203
2. Butterfly string tree
3. Kluson tuners
10. U neck

siamackz said:

1. Serial number 0016203
2. Butterfly string tree
3. Kluson tuners
10. U neck

felixcatus said:
siamackz said:

1. Serial number 0016203
2. Butterfly string tree
3. Kluson tuners
10. U neck

That’s a the key variable. But the seller doesn’t know, and I really don’t know how to tell the difference. In my very limited experience, I have noticed that poly chips off in a very peculiar way and I’ve never seen poly wear in a way that it exposes the wood. So when I saw these pics I thought (looking at the wear on the back) it just might be nitro. But I don’t know. The front looks a lot like the FO you posted in the other thread - similar aging/relic look. What are some clear tell tale signs? Is there like a rub and smell test, lol (that’s how we tell the difference between celluloid and acrylic and hard rubber vintage pens).

Tokai applied their poly finish as a very thin layer that can wear off with heavy use.

You can do the acetone test in an area under the pick guard if you want to know.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ST80 in the FO finish. That would be something.

Are you sure it’s a “U” neck and not a soft “V”?

I think all the FOs I’ve seen have been ST55s made later than yours. And ST55s usually had U pickups.

Head scratcher.

Sigmania said:
Tokai applied their poly finish as a very thin layer that can wear off with heavy use.

You can do the acetone test in an area under the pick guard if you want to know.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an ST80 in the FO finish. That would be something.

Are you sure it’s a “U” neck and not a soft “V”?

I think all the FOs I’ve seen have been ST55s made later than yours. And ST55s usually had U pickups.

Head scratcher.

The acetone test should tell us what the deal is. Once I have the guitar. The seller described as thick C, but I’ll check when I have it (thought pics seem like U as well).

Yep. Test in an area under a cover like under the trem cover or pickguard. Use a Q tip and do a tiny area. Good luck.

I assume this was concluded to be a 1980 ST60R FO?

I have been thinking lately that the "A" stamp means lacquer finish. This one does not have that.

Wondering if your acetone test came back negative?

Also, if it were an ST80R it would have had a V neck during this period.

ST80R V Neck Gallery

Last edited:
Back