Custom ST colours?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
Were custom colours like the FO only available on the ST-80 and higher? Or could one have those on the lower models too? One of the catalogues say that only guitars costing 80K Yen and more can be customized, so I was wondering. I have just bought an FO with U neck, rosewood laminate, matching body and neck stamps, FO stamp in pick up cavity, made in 1980. The colour has wear on the back and sides that looks very much like nitro v/s poly. There is no model number stamp in the neck pocket or anywhere else, so I am trying to identify the model number.

In 1984 yes, my (ex) ST55 Flamingo Orange Goldstar Sound

20150614-120312.jpg

I wouldn’t call FO, etc “custom” colors. I consider them upgrades offered in the catalog. The catalog calls them “special” colors.

Custom would be more like buyer specified alterations in my opinion.

Here’s what the Spring 1982 catalog said:

0TQ3R7J.jpg

INFORMATION

The long-awaited appearance of 5 special colors that can be said to be the symbol of the old-fashioned model. We have started accepting special colors for ST, TE, PB, and JB series. Mania-like colors- Sonic Blue (SO), Candy Apple Red (CR), Gold Metallic (GM), Lake Placid Blue (LB), which can be said to be a symbol of the oldish model slightly produced in the 1960s. A brilliant appearance of Metallic Green (MG). The list price is increased by 5,000 yen for all models. In addition, the reception of the same color finish of the body of the head stock part will start at the same time, and as with the special color series, all models will have a uniform price increase of 5,000 yen. In the case of head coating in the special color series, a total of 10,000 yen will be added. Delivery takes about 3 months after receiving an order. Please apply at Tokai product dealers nationwide. Assemble the parts of the Tokai Electric Guitar series to the specifications of the custom-made system.

● Minor change: A minor change model with pickups, parts, etc. For guitarists who insist on their desired personality, the Tokai Electric Guitar Project Team produces custom-made guitars only for the following items. Please note that the price will vary depending on the content of the special order, but it will be 20% or more of the basic model price. Custom-made guitars are limited to Tokai electric guitars of 80,000 yen or more.

● Special color: Finish the desired color on your model. The colors are all the colors of the Tokai Electric Guitar series. In addition, we also manufacture possible color finishes. However, it is limited to Tokai electric guitars. Please refrain from repainting the colors of other manufacturers. Please refrain from minor changes due to pickups and parts from other manufacturers.

● Orders and inquiries for custom-made guitars: Please apply or contact us through a Tokai product dealer.

We will inform you of the custom price and production period.

As of January 1, 1982, custom orders are available only for the above items.

Please be sure to apply for inquiries and orders through Tokai product dealers. We cannot accept direct orders from the head office or each sales office. Please be aware in advance.

(Note 2) About the left guitar / Currently, Tokai does not make any left guitar.

Last edited:
I have a 1981 ST75R in metallic green (MG), and Cliff had an ST65 in MG, so it’s definitely not just 80 and above as far back as 1981 when those color options arrived.

Spring 1982 catalog:

0TQ3R7J.jpg

INFORMATION

The long-awaited appearance of 5 special colors that can be said to be the symbol of the old-fashioned model. We have started accepting special colors for ST, TE, PB, and JB series. Mania-like colors- Sonic Blue (SO), Candy Apple Red (CR), Gold Metallic (GM), Lake Placid Blue (LB), which can be said to be a symbol of the old model slightly produced in the 1960s. A brilliant appearance of Metallic Green (MG). The list price is increased by 5,000 yen for all models. In addition, the reception of the same color finish of the body of the head stock part will start at the same time, and as with the special color series, all models will have a uniform price increase of 5,000 yen. In the case of head coating in the special color series, a total of 10,000 yen will be added. Delivery takes about 3 months after receiving an order. Please apply at Tokai product dealers nationwide. Assemble the parts of the Tokai Electric Guitar series to the specifications of the custom-made system.

● Minor change: A minor change model with pickups, parts, etc. For guitarists who insist on their desired personality, the Tokai Electric Guitar Project Team produces custom-made guitars only for the following items. Please note that the price will vary depending on the content of the special order, but it will be 20% or more of the basic model price. Custom-made guitars are limited to Tokai electric guitars of 80,000 yen or more.

● Special color: Finish the desired color on your model. The colors are all the colors of the Tokai Electric Guitar series. In addition, we also manufacture possible color finishes. However, it is limited to Tokai electric guitars. Please refrain from repainting the colors of other manufacturers. Please refrain from minor changes due to pickups and parts from other manufacturers.

● Orders and inquiries for custom-made guitars: Please apply or contact us through a Tokai product dealer.

We will inform you of the custom price and production period.

As of January 1, 1982, custom orders are available only for the above items.

Please be sure to apply for inquiries and orders through Tokai product dealers. We cannot accept direct orders from the head office or each sales office. Please be aware in advance.

(Note 2) About the left guitar / Currently, Tokai does not make any left guitar.

Btw, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed one listed as candy apple red (CR) before. Metallic red (MR) yes. CR no.

Interesting.

Thanks for confirming, very helpful information, as always!

And the models below ST80 that were custom colour finished - did they get a poly paint job or nitro?

I just noticed in the 1981 catalogue, where long paragraphs describe the ST, they mention in passing that new colours include MR, MG, and FO. So these weren’t “custom” colours then were they? Since they were offered as options in the catalogue?

siamackz said:
Thanks for confirming, very helpful information, as always!

And the models below ST80 that were custom colour finished - did they get a poly paint job or nitro?

My ST55FO was poly, it does show some age/craze lines.

IMG-9717.jpg

IMG-9716.jpg

IMG-9711.jpg

siamackz said:
I just noticed in the 1981 catalogue, where long paragraphs describe the ST, they mention in passing that new colours include MR, MG, and FO. So these weren’t “custom” colours then were they? Since they were offered as options in the catalogue?

That’s my understanding. They were catalog options. I would call them special orders.

Sigmania said:
siamackz said:

That’s my understanding. They were catalog options. I would call them special orders.
But were they “special orders” really, because they’re now stated along with the rest of the options in the catalogue as if it’s part of the regular line up. See pic below from the 1981 catalogue you posted:
ea5cc8_6fe05e57c2374aca8ec6935f10c35c37~mv2.png

Maybe ask Peter Mac or someone who saw them on the retail level in stores at the time?

I’ve often wondered if they pushed them out there or if they waited for orders?

I don’t know the answer to that one.

I always understood it as, a 'custom colour' (extra priced, maybe less numbers produced, but not
on 'extra/special order'?)
that runs along with standard production.

Words are probably lost in translation.

Custom to me means that the buyer chooses from the limits of what can be made.

Special order to me means the buyer selects from what is offered but not available without request.

Premium means it costs more and may be a better description?

Whatever the word, I would be interested in knowing if these were sent to shops with normal orders or if there actually had to be requests made then you had to wait for them to be built?

Words are probably lost in translation.

Custom to me means that the buyer chooses from the limits of what can be made.

Special order to me means the buyer selects from what is offered but not available without request.

Premium means it costs more and may be a better description?

Whatever the word, I would be interested in knowing if these were sent to shops with normal orders or if there actually had to be requests made then you had to wait for them to be built?

I'm thinking 'custom colour' models "were send to shops with normal orders".

I think of it like with Motorbikes, lots of 'custom' models in the shop that are standard production/orders.

felixcatus said:
I'm thinking 'custom colour' models "were send to shops with normal orders".

I think of it like with Motorbikes, lots of 'custom' models in the shop that are standard production/orders.

That’s how I see it too, if I had to make a hypothesis

So "custom" doesn't actually mean custom as in customize?? Kind of a misleading word to be using then in my opinion.

Also, I think it is notable that some of these "custom" colors are far more common than others. I have seen more natural (N), blonde (BL) and flamingo orange (FO) guitars than any of the other custom colors.

I have never seen a candy apple red (CR), salmon pink (PP), or vintage red (OR), Springy, and metallic pink (MPK) seems to be extremely rare.

In the middle are metallic green (MG), metallic, sonic and placid blue (MB), (SO), (LB) , etc.

So something was going on as far as availability because they were evidently not equally produced.

From the Faber site:

EOeSCsw.jpg

Guess it is in fact lost in translation….

I am in North America, and this is how we use this word. 8)

Oxford definition:

midaXFv.png

It is quite misleading. But think about the Les Paul “Custom” as well. The other day I was with family and they asked me about the guitar and asked “so you had a choice in colour, design, etc”. And I said no. They replied, “well it’s not custom then”. I think it’s the same with the custom shop of Fender and their ready spec’d guitars. It’s not so much custom. It’s more like special order maybe? Because you don’t really get to customise it, but instead just choose from a slightly wider range of options than what’s normally available.

However, have you seen any catalogue talk about the FO or related colours as costing more? Because again, the 1981 catalogue listed the FO and the cost next to it was the Normal ST 60,80 etc cost. That’s very misleading. Either that or then these were really not custom or special order colours at all - have you seen them advertising just the colour and call it custom? I’ve seen that page about Custom guitars but that’s full customisation like Sigmania rightfully suggests the word should imply. Otherwise they casually drop the FO, MG etc along with the older colours and show the same price for them all.

I’m not talking about the 1982 catalogue colours that they calle special, but rather the colours like FO that featured in the 1981 catalogue below:
ea5cc8_6fe05e57c2374aca8ec6935f10c35c37~mv2.png

Back