Phillips vs Allen key

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused by when / which models had which. The 1981 catalogue shows the Philips type for the ‘64 model. But I have seen a 1980 with the Allen. We’re these inconsistencies common?

Tokai started out using hex truss rod nuts (like basically all Japanese manufacturers) but replaced them with Phillips-type nuts later. I'm not sure exactly when, but it might well have been from 1980 to 81, they were getting into the small original details by then.

Btw: most cross-head screws used in MIJ guitars are not actually Phillips, but JIS, Japanese Industry Standard. The difference in how the screw heads are cut is actually big enough to make it worth it to get a set of JIS screw drivers (mine came from a motor cycle tool vendor). I spent a lot of time swearing over stripped screw heads and ****** pot metal before I got them, and the problem just disappeared with the JIS tools.

I think Peter Mac was saying the V necks from the 80/81 period had hex truss rod adjustment?

I have a 1979 ST100 and a 1981 ST80R both with V necks and both with hex adjustments.

Peter Mac said:
Hi Guys,

From my experience, all 21 fret SpringySound necks are 7.25 Radius. Neck shape does vary however.
Maple necks are 1 piece and are either a '56 soft 'V' or a '58 vintage 'U'
Rosewood boards tend to be veneer style with a vintage 'C'. In '81 Tokai introduced a '62 Slab board with vintage 'C' this neck was also used for the USA models TST-62 and AST-62.
The only exception I have found to these occurred in 1980. ST-80 models with R'wood veneer boards were given a 'V' neck instead of the 'C'. This is the only Year this happened and they can be distinguished from other R/W necks by the "A" stamp after the number code at the base of the neck and the Allen truss rod. It is interesting to note that Fender never produced a V neck with Rosewood board so why Tokai did - even for the one Model/One Year scenario - as they were not replicating any vintage Fender neck.
I do own one of these ST-80R Springys and it is my No.1 strat. I does have Texas Specials and VIP pots with Emerson PIO cap though, still every person who plugs it in and plays it is smitten by how great the neck feels and the monster tone. Most believe it is an old Fender until I point out the Name.

Hope this helps
Peter Mac

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25990&p=196117#p196117

Sure. And even though Peter was saying the rosewood V was from 1980 only, we have since noted some from 1981 including my ST80R.

Latest posts

Back