Metallic red or Fiesta

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siamackz

Tokai Supporter
Reaction score
The 1981 catalogue introduces the MRR metallic red. But I have seen a “fiesta” red advertised recently for the same period. Are the MRR true metallic colours or are they more like Fiesta red?

You’re welcome. Btw, MRR means metallic red with a rosewood board. That second R is for the fretboard. If it’s maple it’s just MR.

Sigmania said:
You’re welcome. Btw, MRR means metallic red with a rosewood board. That second R is for the fretboard. If it’s maple it’s just MR.

Yes makes sense!

Just pulled the trigger on a ST-60 FO in the ‘64 Oldies style from 1980. I’ve been wanting a fiesta red Strat for so long and didn’t know I could have one from Tokai. Will take some time to reach me, but it’s in the bag :)

I prefer metallic, or Candy Apple Red in Fenderese.
Mine is Flamingo Orange (Fiesta Red).
My Dad is a massive Hank Marvin fan, owns a JV Squier '57 in "Fiesta Red", and according to him, mine is much closer to the original colour of that guitar - the Cliff Richard/Bruce Welsh owned Strat that Hank played from 59-61.

somebodyelseuk said:
My Dad is a massive Hank Marvin fan, owns a JV Squier '57 in "Fiesta Red", and according to him, mine is much closer to the original colour of that guitar - the Cliff Richard/Bruce Welsh owned Strat that Hank played from 59-61.

Interesting! From the online pics I have seen, the MR or candy red don’t seem close to the Fender fiesta. But these pics don’t really show colours proper and also after aging they do change, so I can very well believe you.

siamackz said:
somebodyelseuk said:

Interesting! From the online pics I have seen, the MR or candy red don’t seem close to the Fender fiesta. But these pics don’t really show colours proper and also after aging they do change, so I can very well believe you.

I should clarify. I have a Flamingo Orange 83 Tokai. My Dad has a JV Squier Strat from the same year (same factory) in "Fiesta Red". The Cliff/Bruce/Hank Marvin '58 Strat is 'Fiesta Red'.
According to my Dad, who saw that Strat in the early 60s, the Tokai FO is closer to the Fiesta Red colour than what his Squier is.

Neither is close to Candy Apple Red, which 'in the skin' looks like the surface of a toffee apple.

somebodyelseuk said:
siamackz said:
somebodyelseuk said:

I should clarify. I have a Flamingo Orange 83 Tokai. My Dad has a JV Squier Strat from the same year (same factory) in "Fiesta Red". The Cliff/Bruce/Hank Marvin '58 Strat is 'Fiesta Red'.
According to my Dad, who saw that Strat in the early 60s, the Tokai FO is closer to the Fiesta Red colour than what his Squier is.

Neither is close to Candy Apple Red, which 'in the skin' looks like the surface of a toffee apple.
Got it, thanks for explaining!

Back