1981 TE70(?) Breezy Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusnieman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Stumbled on this gem and I believe it to be a TE70. Can anyone help me identify?

• Single piece body
  • No skunk stripe
  • White pickup selector knob
  • 6 saddle bridge
  • serial number 1019827

Dropbox link with photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ixlx24r3sh99yeg/AACwwao781daXAxLrtnJbfyTa?dl=0

Looks pretty spot on to this TE70: http://guitarsjapan.com/1980_Tokai_TE-70_Breezysound_1962_Telecaster_Replica.html

Thanks guys - given the condition, I'd put this at a $1000 + guitar.

Beautiful guitar. Is that a seam on the back (near the high E ferrule)?

Here’s a TE70 WR & YSR from the spring 1982 catalog for comparison:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26114&start=30

Sigmania said:
qEUtZ4U.jpg

1958 MODEL TE70-WR ¥ 70,000 * Celluloid binding Tele born from the Esquire model announced in 1952. * The maple 1-piece U-shaped neck, which is a feature of the 1958 model, is built into the body of the rare wine red. The straight and funky tone is the old sound produced by the newly developed pickup TE Vintage MKII. A partner of a unique guitarist who opens up an avant-garde rock scene.

1964 MODEL TE70YSR ¥ 70.000 A beautiful TE70 with a vivid sunburst finish on the celluloid binding body. The unique closhan head, silver type logo, rose fingerboard, and celluloid white 3 ply pick guard perfectly reproduce the feeling of the 1960s. Sharp & bright, old and sensual American sound is attractive.

I was trying to see if the grain matches up front to back?

KDEJNrs.jpg

O9EfOmp.jpg

Here is one with a 1 piece maple neck, 3 saddle bridge, and single ply pickguard:

https://reverb.com/ca/item/14146495...-vintage-sunburst-mij-telecaster-double-bound

XHdPcFk.png

sYY7w6P.png

In all my years of collecting Tokai's I have never seen one like this. This was made in Japan in 1980 and features a double bound one piece body in 2 tone Sunburst with a maple neck.

These 1980 Tokai Breezysounds are really special as they feature the correct headstock shape and the Fender font logo. By 1982 these features had changed to a block logo and a modified headstock shape.

I'm not sure of the model number on this one. It must be a higher end model because even the TE-80's featured a two piece center seamed body. Maybe it was a one off? Maybe it was custom order? Not sure. I bought it directly from a private collector in Japan who also wasn't sure what the model number was.

The electronics have been replaced. New three ways switch. New vintage wiring. New knobs. And new custom wound Slick Fullerton pickups. The neck is wound to 5.6k and the bridge is wound to 7.6k. Alnico magnets. This guitar sounds amazing and can really roar! It's one of those guitars that inspires you to play.

I replaced the bridge with a vintage 3 brass saddle bridge. The original bridge will be included in the case.

The whole guitar has a beautiful aged patina. It has been played as all the good ones do - but it hasn't been abused. It looks stunning with great vintage vibe that you just can't get from artificial aging and relicing. The frets have some wear but are still easily playable. You can see how the thin finish has sunk into the grain of the wood.

The tuners are original as well and are stamped Tokai on the backs. They still work perfectly and hold tune really well.

It’s looking like a 1962 Tele Custom.

Not seeing it in a catalog, but it does look like the other TE70 you found so I bet that’s it. The ‘62 version is/was apparently not common. Good find!

Thanks Sig..... appreciate the leg work. Man, that speckled Tele (almost looks like birdseye) is fantastic!

It does look like a seam at the high E ferrule as you spotted on my pics but then as you go above the ferrule toward the neck, the single piece graining is evident.

Buddy of mine got this guitar in an estate collection left to him (of about 50 guitars including a dead mint rare cherry finish 1961 ES330 with factory Bigsby).
Trying to help him out with what he's got .... he also has a couple Tokai AST and TST strats. He's in Arizona so I've not seen them in person

But I'm interested in taking this Breezy Custom off his hands - he said it's dead mint and all original. Will keep you posted. Thanks again pardner and thanks for all of the content you post .... great work.

Good luck with it and please post more pics if you get it.

And thank you!

August of 1962 is when switched from slab board to veneer rosewood.

Latest posts

Back