Custom & Non Production Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Tokai made some high end guitars as custom orders and the buyer could pick out the wood like the ST120 or the LS200 of the early ‘80s.

There were other guitars that were unlike any of the models shown in catalogs. "Non production" guitars.

A few of these have popped up recently so I am wanting to document these rare Tokais in a thread and try and collect their pictures and info over time.

First are some non production Springys from 1980 (?) that don't match any known models.

Gold hardware, brass nut, black PG knobs & pickups, sen ash bodies, and trans red finish.

These popped up in the thread below and ATO grabbed the pictures from Facebook to be preserved. Thanks!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26149

Serial number 0000001

STWcu12.jpg

QKi6fMQ.jpg

ucDXkk1.jpg

6H75R7F.jpg

BTGJWWu.jpg

SbsOhhA.jpg

rO0nBo5.jpg

cvdBT1G.jpg

“GS - A” in cavity on the ST120 and the trans red Springys.

cvdBT1G.jpg

lQ0EcV6.png

I always found it a bit interesting that Tokai placed the LS-320 Love Rock Model in catalog literature yet Tokai claimed the LS-320 examples to be 'order' only. Seems Tokai wanted it both ways? :lol:

Not vintage, but I do have custom ordered a Tokai THB200S in 2018/19.

Quote;
"To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Hummingbird guitar, Tokai has released the THB200s 50th collector's edition.
Reissue of the guitar that was flagship of Tokai Japan at the end of the 1960, which is based loosely on Mosite, with the original roller bridge design from the original hummingbird.
Hardcase included and collector's record of the 50th anniversary.
Limited edition of 30 units worldwide.
SEB Construction (Basswood top - Basswood cross cut middle - Basswood back)
Original Hummingbird pickups and electronic circuits
Made in Japan"

We prefered a body and wood constuction closer to the original, not the SEB structure,
We also wanted the natural wood headstock, not the painted version.

So we custom ordered 3 extra Hummingbirds on top of the 30 units collectors edition.

From the 1979 Cat’s Eyes catalog

byMpC7H.jpg

Your special order is acceptable:

Order-Made Guitars to match your individuality.

At Tokai Gakki, we also manufacture special orders such as position marks: bindings, inlays, etc. in response to the wishes of those who value individuality.

★ We accept orders for Cat's Eye models over 100,000 yen.
★ The price varies depending on the specifications of your order, but it is based on a 20% increase in the retail price.
★ Delivery will be approximately 4 months after receiving the order.
★ For the left hand, we will accept a 20% increase in the retail price of all models.

Don't know if you are interested in my 1991 TOKAI ES-150
Had made a thread about it 3 years ago

http://tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24784&p=187678#p187678

Definitely interested. I personally can’t get enough pictures of rare Tokais. Would be great if you could post some here. Would be quite welcome.

I have to wonder if these weren't some sort of way of marking and celebrating the new decade with these serial numbers?

The first 3 guitars of the decade.

Sigmania said:
First are some non production Springys from 1980 (?) that don't match any known models.

Gold hardware, brass nut, black PG knobs & pickups, sen ash bodies, and trans red finish.

These popped up in the thread below and ATO grabbed the pictures from Facebook to be preserved. Thanks!

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26149

Serial number 0000001

STWcu12.jpg

QKi6fMQ.jpg

ucDXkk1.jpg

6H75R7F.jpg

BTGJWWu.jpg

SbsOhhA.jpg

rO0nBo5.jpg

cvdBT1G.jpg

Latest posts

Back