1982 ST120

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Another thread mentioned an ST120, so I wanted to try and find a picture to nail down what these are?

Hamamatsu translated the section of the ST120 from the Spring 1982 catalog and it says:

"ST120 is a special order model with the flamed maple neck."

My 1979 ST100 has a flamed maple neck as does felixcatus' 1978 ST100.

Just wondering what the difference is? I think I saw something about DiMarzio pickups? Could that be the distinction between an ST100 with a flamed neck and an ST120?

https://reverb.com/item/24891706-tokai-st-120-springy-sound-1982-original-sunburst

"This was the top of the line Tokai Springy Sound in 1982. A gorgeous flame maple neck. It's quite thick, V-shaped, and the fretboard has a vintage radius. Two-piece body (I think alder?) which is consistent with the catalogue specs. Original '120' sticker is still attached, though it is very worn. In 1981 or 1982 they transitioned to a 4-digit serial neck-plate in order to get closer to vintage spec. The saddles are stamped "final prospec", which is consistent with 1982. Two piece trem system with alloy block (also consistent with 1982).

The only unoriginal parts are the pickguard and the pickups. The original pickups were Dimarzio VS-1, and they have been replaced with non-matching Fender pickups. The previous owner replaced the pickguard due to warping.

The finish is very thin and has sunk into the wood. Good amount of wear. Frets either need some work or replacement. It has been well-loved, which is a good sign that it sounds and plays really well."

GdEaBs0.png

gu6BAEm.png

cMjRyLj.png

ZXoHRb3.png

O6Zi4SP.jpg

2ozxZC7.png

iBLZUo8.png

5hFiV16.png

f92fBhL.png

Note the nickel hardware like my ST100. Some ST100s had nickel, some gold plate.

So it looks to me like the ST100 morphed into the ST120 in late 1981/82 when it is shown in the Spring '82 catalog.

Wt1S9D1.jpg

But less than a year before that there was no mention of an ST120, and the 1981 Flat Top catalog shows an ST100 with a flamed neck.

y91sGH1.jpg

Agreed, my ST100 is one piece ash.

I guess it’s what the original spec by Fender was in the 50s? Two piece body?

Or do you think a body was possibly mated later with that neck?

Marker line through code in neck pickup cavity.

Handwritten codes. I haven’t seen another custom build like an LS200 so I don’t know what is normal.

From stratman323, a former member here I believe on a different forum in 2010:

" I was under the impression that fender just produced solid bodys in the pre-cbs period. So far I have seen 2 1963 strats (one sunburst and 1 natrual) with obvious 2 piece bodys. Did fender do this back then??

By solid bodies, do you mean one piece bodies? They were very rare in the golden days of Fender. A 2, 3 or 4 piece body was common - Leo didn't like to waste wood. And a multi-piece body is still a "solid body", so I think you may have your definitions mixed up.

From what I have read, even a 2 piece body is rare on a pre-CBS Fender, & they probably became even more rare after CBS took over & cut quality control! Most modern Custom Shop guitars have 2 piece (or more) bodies, often not centre-joined.

One of the few places you'll find production Strats & Teles with centre-joined 2 piece bodies, or even sometimes one piece bodies is Japan - they are more likely to take the extra time & effort to offer this on their top models. Whether this makes the guitar sound any better is a matter for some debate!"

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/vintage-2-piece-bodys.57187/

Description of the ST120 in the Spring '82 catalog calls it a 1954 Model:

1954 MODEL ST100GS ¥ 100000 1954 MODEL ST120-GS ¥ 120,000 The finest professional model ST100 & 120 that represents the ST series that appeared in the new specs. Mount the new pickup VS-1 that DiMarzio expects, and develop an all-round springy sound with long sustain and high-grade sound as you like. High-grade specifications with carefully selected alder body and maple 1-piece neck. (ST120 is a completely made-to-order special model with a flamed maple neck.)

Yep. I think I noted that you ended up with it. I’m curious if you have another or have seen another ST120? That’s the only one I could find on line. Beautiful.

The 1979 catalogue says the st100 has a flamed neck... “ ST-100 ST-80 is further upgraded. All the hardware is gold-plated, which is a rare item collection. The body is carefully selected and the Senwan Peace Maple Neck has "Tramog (horizontal stripes like tiger stripes)”. Sorry about the poor Google translate but you can tell they are clearly trying to explain it is flamed.
I have a ST 100 made in 1980 though and it’s not flamed, unfortunately :(

Hmmmm. I have a '79 ST100 that is heavily flamed, but has nickel hardwear. 1 piece sen ash body.

Why do you think it’s an ST100? Is it marked?

45eCMnO.jpg

wABeiab.jpg

Sigmania said:
Hmmmm. I have a '79 ST100 that is heavily flamed, but has nickel hardwear. 1 piece sen ash body.

45eCMnO.jpg

wABeiab.jpg

Yes the fretboard has “100” imprinted on the last fret of its rosewood fretboard. It will arrive tomorrow, I’ll share more details at that time

Sigmania said:

45eCMnO.jpg

wABeiab.jpg

Yes the fretboard has “100” imprinted on the last fret of its rosewood fretboard. It will arrive tomorrow, I’ll share more details at that time

Sigmania said:

45eCMnO.jpg

wABeiab.jpg

Latest posts

Back