80s Goldstar - dating and what to do with it!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc55

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Goldstar that I reckon I bought second hand in the mid 80s. It's been sat in a case shut away for the last 30 years and I'm not sure what I'll do with it at the moment.

I'm trying to date it too, the label on the neck says 55 but I can't find any reference to st55 in the dating and id section for Fender copies on the site.

I'll attach some photo's if someone could me in the right direction please?

I'm thinking about selling or maybe keep for my son to use, what would be a realistic sale price do you reckon? As it's been unused for 30 years would I be best off getting serviced before selling or leave untouched, As you can see from the photos I haven't done anything to it since buying all those years ago and it could do with a restring and good clean at least.
Cheers
Dave

Here's a link to the photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oyhajbddzwmalfo/AAAhmydfpQynqTBb_pOAtd2ua?dl=0

It could be late 83, 84 or 85 I believe. I've got the same body ST55 (see thread below) but mine is 1983 and someone has repainted it red. Prob worth £500-600 on eBay.
ST55 is just an ST50 with an optional finish that cost a bit more, hence 55.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25951

3VgnWf6.jpg

Lblm7g9.jpg

IpukfKt.jpg

5uhgvjn.jpg

xpcVp2F.jpg

So looks like a 1985 ST55 N. N stands for natural color finish.

The darker tone knob looks original.

The other two knobs were likely replaced, and looks like the 2 two pots shown were replaced as well. Switch tip missing.

Should have a thin polyurethane finish. I believe the body should be 2 piece alder.

B6uz73Y.jpg

5uhgvjn.jpg

As for price and value, go look at a guitar shop and see how they are making new guitars. They don't make them like this anymore.

Note the wood that the new guitar bodies are made of. Yours should be 2 piece alder.

You may want to keep it for your son.

Scour Reverb and eBay for ST50s or 55s to get a sense of the market.

Your guitar is dirty, but otherwise in good shape, and knobs and tips are super cheap to replace.

Maybe invest in a case?

Back