Scruffy ST50/60 strat ID

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATO

Reaction score
Just picked up this scruffy ST50 or 60 for a bargain price. It's got an L serial so is a 60s copy. The decal has obviously been lost in the past and the owner has painted a new one on! Then appears to have sprayed over the poly finished headstock with nitro by the looks of it. The round string tree is puzzling me as I thought these were only put on maple neck 50s copies, am I wrong?
It's got U pups, the bridge has been swapped for an ESP navigator bridge at some point and the tuners are deluxe klusons so they've also been changed. Is This likely to be a springy or a Goldie? It's in the UK if that makes any difference.
It's seen plenty of action but plays great.

y4I37P1.jpg

kIBCrAl.jpg

B6zRde0.jpg

d5KeUeR.jpg

ny2uiFE.jpg

Interesting attempt at painting the logo. I think you can find decals on line.

Needs a good cleaning too obviously. Good for you for saving it.

Check to see if the tremolo block is steel or pot metal. Gold stars had steel blocks I believe.

The bridge has been changed to an ESP unit so expect the block went with it.

That’s a tough one since so much has changed. Tuners, bridge, decals removed.

Are there any codes stamped inside under the pick guard?

And I believe that serial number system began in 1982. Not sure how long it went on.

So I would say it’s a block logo 1983 ST50R MR (metallic red) Springy/Goldstar with a changed out string tree among other things.

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure the UK had the block logo, I think they went directly from 7okai Springys to Goldies but I'm not sure. The fact he's painted a springy logo on makes me think he's just copied the missing decal. I know the previous owner bar one painted the decal and he had the guitar a long time.

You’re welcome.

Maybe someone else will know what was available in the UK in 1983? I’m in the US. It’s pretty confusing.

At least you have an idea about when it was made. Could be a Goldie or a Springy.

It’s good that you saved it.

We did have the block logo Springys and also surprisingly Goldstars over here, but I think that this guitar is a Goldstar ST55.

bluejeannot said:
We did have the block logo Springys and also surprisingly Goldstars over here, but I think that this guitar is a Goldstar ST55.

What makes you think it's a Goldie ST55? Haven't heard of the 55 before.

Interesting about the block logo, can't recall ever seeing one over here.

Sigmania said:

The ST55s that I have seen had the premium/custom color which is the added cost.

For example, Flamingo Orange (FO) is a premium/custom color, so an otherwise ST50 would have been sold for 5,000 yen more and was called an ST55.

Your guitar looked like Metallic Red (MR) to me which was a standard color I believe. But maybe it’s actually Vintage/Original Red (OR)? It does look a little flat/non metallic. Check your pickup compartment for a color code stamped in there.

Back