What is the difference between an LS100, LS120, LS150, and an LS200 in 1982?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what model my guitar is?

It was made in 1982. It has a solid flamed top, FEB, one piece mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, PCB circuit board.

The oval sticker, original pickups, and tuners were all absent when I got it from a seller in Japan about ten years ago.

I have not translated the 1982 catalog, and am wondering in that year what distinguished an LS100, LS120, LS150, and an LS200?

I had an LS 120 from 1981 and it was a veneer flame top.

Any help would be appreciated.

aNmBsis.jpg

From Reborn Old posting on the Les Paul Forum :D

"Tokai LS 1978 - 1985 vintage model lineup and features:

LS-50: 3 piece maple top or off center seam maple top, multi piece mahogany back.

LS-60: 2 piece center seam maple top solid plaintop (or veneer flametop on 1984-85 TLS models), 2 piece mahogany back.

LS-80: 2 piece center seam maple top (solid plaintop or blistertop, a few flametops), 1 piece mahogany back.

LS-100: Same as LS-80 but top is generally nicer solid blister/quilt maple top or solid mahogany top, 1 pc mahogany back.

LS-120: 2 piece center seam veneer flametop, 1 piece mahogany back. (a few solid flametops have been confirmed)

LS-150: 2 piece center seam solid flametop, 1 piece mahogany back.

LS-200: 2 piece center seam solid flametop, 1 piece mahogany back. Custom order only."

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-tokai-1978-1985-theory-photo-id-thread.130955/

So from that my guitar is likely an LS80, LS120, LS150 or LS200?

I had a 1983 LS80 with a solid flame top, but the back was two piece... Still had the oval 80 sticker.

So I’m guessing LS120, LS150 or LS200.

LS120 is typically a veneer top if its flame. (Some exceptions).

What then distinguishes an LS150 and an LS200? Reborn old said custom order. Does that mean buyers chose their wood tops?

I found a post from 7 years ago that seems to answer my question. Was hard to find the old thread, but I had vaguely remembered the conversation.

Reborn Old said:

“Because it has a circuit board, it's likely not an LS-150.
An LS-120 solid top would be my best guess, since it has a maple top, and not a solid sycamore top commonly found only on 1982 LS-100 models.”

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22202

Well, unless anyone has information that contradicts what Reborn Old has posted on this forum and on the Les Paul forum, I am going to start calling it an LS120. 8)

Sigmania said:
I found a post from 7 years ago that seems to answer my question. Was hard to find the old thread, but I had vaguely remembered the conversation.

Reborn Old said:

“Because it has a circuit board, it's likely not an LS-150.
An LS-120 solid top would be my best guess, since it has a maple top, and not a solid sycamore top commonly found only on 1982 LS-100 models.”

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22202

When I read that my brain kinda exploded. :lol:
I purchased the first MIJ solid body electric guitar I ever purchased nearly 45 years ago, I still have a crap load to learn, and I am not an expert.
Having said that, I have never read anywhere, any mention of a, "solid sycamore top" as relating to any MIJ solid top LP type; never.
I have read plenty about 'sycamore veneer' as it pertains to the thin sliver of pasted material on the (carved) top of some MIJ LP types.
The 'solid sycamore top' concept is interesting to me, and is also very new to my experience but then again, I don't get out much. :lol:

As far as differences in 1978 to 1982 LS models, the LS-200 is the only LS model showing a spec with 'H-Mahogany' for a body back & 'Brazilian Rosewood' for the F'board.

Lol. Sorry if I caused any distress. Lol.

I hadn’t heard that before either, the solid sycamore tops. Would be interested in seeing one.

I had a 1985 LS80 with the sycamore veneer. Looked similar to maple to me, but not much flame to it. Now I think I’ll do some googling to see what the more figured sycamore looks like.

Hope this thread helps some folks. Was a learning and re learning experience for me.

Geez.... now I’m confused again.... After looking at figured sycamore, I have to second guess what I thought was flamed maple.... :eek:

Reborn Old, if you read this, would you chime in and clarify if the solid sycamore tops you have seen are flamed or plain top?

I have no idea how you would tell flamed maple from flamed sycamore. Maybe it’s irrelevant and he meant plain top.

What brand pickups? I believe the LS120 and up came with Dimarzio PAFs. My ‘81 LS120 had Dimarzio stock.

Not sure about the LS100, but LS80 and below came with Gotoh pickups.

“ The oval sticker, original pickups, and tuners were all absent when I got it from a seller in Japan about ten years ago.”

I put Deaccis in it. A past member here, Declan, was making/selling them. Great pickups. Check their web site.

I love the Di Marzio PAFs too. I have them in other Love Rocks.

The Deaccis have a little different tonal range and response.

That's a great chart, but just glancing at it I see some issues that they may want to edit?

It says the LS100s is one piece... I have one that has a one piece top and one piece back. Discussed extensively in another thread.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25613

Also, on LS120 and above it says flamed maple top, but no mention of veneers used on LS120s.

Also, the circuitry seems to figure in as well. PCB not used on all models?

And well documented LS80s with solid flamed maple tops. And of those some had two piece backs. I had one so I know that for sure.

Sigmania said:
I am trying to figure out what model my guitar is?

It was made in 1982. It has a solid flamed top, FEB, one piece mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, PCB circuit board.

The oval sticker, original pickups, and tuners were all absent when I got it from a seller in Japan about ten years ago.

I have not translated the 1982 catalog, and am wondering in that year what distinguished an LS100, LS120, LS150, and an LS200?

I had an LS 120 from 1981 and it was a veneer flame top.

Any help would be appreciated.

aNmBsis.jpg

Sigmania, Did your LS-120 have the “120” headstock sticker? I’ve asked this forum a similar question as you on a guitar I own...that you have already commented on. If yours had the confirmation sticker (ie 120) and it had a veneer top and mine has a solid top, then I can assume that mine is most probably an LS-150. Please confirm....Thanks

Nope. See discussion above. No sticker, solid flame top.

One thing you may want to dig into is whether the electronics were "upgraded". From what I gather the LS150 did not have the PCB and the LS120 did. Otherwise mine could have been an LS150.

I can't tell from looking at your pictures in the other thread if the pots ,etc were switched out, a common practice.

Mystery solved. LS80. Finally saw the 80 in the glue residue from where the sticker was.

Ghost decal edgesinvert.jpg

Attachments

• Ghost decal edgesjpg.jpg
    Ghost decal edgesjpg.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Ghost decal.jpg
    Ghost decal.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back