Wide range humbucker replacement in 70’s Spacey sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christo4

Reaction score
Hi,

Have decided to try different pick ups is my 70’sSpacey sound Tele thin line. First of all, is this crazy considering the vintage ness of the guitar? It has has no mods. I don’t want to ruin the value of the guitar. I’m looking for a little more clarity and was going to change to pots but they are already 500s as far as I can tell. My main question is will other wide range pick ups fit to old spacey sound plate? My other question is what type of pickups will give me a nicer clean sound?
Regards
Chris

If you keep the originals it shouldn't hurt the value much. And I'd do the same with the wiring harness if you plan on changing the pot values. As for your second question, if you want more clarity, I'd have a look at single-coils like humbucker-sized P90s (e.g., Bare Knuckle has some) or foil pickups. I like mine (1978) just as it is, but to each their own. They definitely have a different character from a regular tele, but that's a good thing.

Whether or not a standard-sized WRHB will fit or not depends on the the guitar's year of manufacture. The Greco TE400/450/500 models (the deesignation changed over the years) began with Gibson-size hb's with one height-adjustment screw on each side at launch in 1973, got four screws the year after and the larger true WRHB-size pickups in 1976, which it had until discontinued in early 1982. The serial is (or isn't) on the neck plate. No serial is 1975 or earlier, after that it's A-L for the month, followed by the last two digits of the year.
The full-size post-1975 Maxon WRHB's (PU-103 in Greco catalogs)) are a perfect fin in a Fender (I had a set in an MIM Tele Deluxe reissue for a while) so it should work fine the other way around as well.

Back