Springy Authenticity

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapist_e

Reaction score
Hi all,
As a owner of Burny Les Paul , I'd like to purchase also a strat, and I want Springy so bad.
I found one on Reverb, that looks good to me 1980 ST-50 Springy, and I think the price is adequate.
I know st-50 is a low-key Springy, but should I care?
From what I read all characteristic things for 1980 are right, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Second one is also from Reverb: 1979 ST-42 Springy, but I have problem with stickers on head. They look like not applied by factory. I can see damaged "42" stamp at the end of fretboard, but it looks weird.
Thanks for helping me, and have a nice day..

At first glance they both look OK to mr but the ST-50 would be my choice. Regarding the decal applied over the finish, that's how Fender did it in the old days. According to many vintage aficionados it's the only way of doing it. The reason was that the wet finish destroyed the decal so they had to apply it on top of the dry finish instead. A correctly made vintage reissue still has the decal applied over the finish.

But isn't two different numbers from neck pickup cavity and from neck bottom weird situation?

Trapist_e said:
mdvineng said:
The neck has been ruined on the 42. :-?

Yeah, I know, but what do you exactly mean?

I'm guessing he means that the amateur scalloping of the fretboard ruined it, it certainly would ruin it for me....

Trapist_e said:
But isn't two different numbers from neck pickup cavity and from neck bottom weird situation?

It seems that most matched but there are enough examples of none matching ones around. I wouldn't worry.

Latest posts

Back