Distinguish ES 100 R/J pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, my name is Markus and I'm new to the tokaiforum.

I'm (among a few other Tokais) owner of a 1981 Tokai ES 100 (R/J? don't know)

The red label with model and serial # sadly is gone.
I managed to make a quite good replica of the label, but dunno what pickups my ES is equipped with.

Is there a way to identify wether it is the Jazz or Rock version pickups? Looks of the baseplate, any markings, color of wiring... Or maybe DC-resistance is signinificantly different to determine pickup type?

If any information is recquired, I can take pictures or measurements.

Your help is much appreciated!

villager said:
measure the output...

hmmm.. The more string vibration, the higher the output.
Should be a few millivolt, depending on the attack, no matter what kind of pickup is installed.

Or do you mean DC resitance?

DC-resistance is:

bridge - 8.17 k

neck - 8.19 k

Are any other owners of vintage Es100's so kind to compare if their pickups of R / J - type are in the same range?

Thank you!

Thank you for your input.

Pulled out my pickups today.
These are Goto's with a brass baseplate, ink stamped "Patent applied for - made by goto"

When i got information gathered correctly from numerous pages on the net, i assume, J type pickups come with a silver baseplate and no further markings. But i'm not sure about that, never found a pic from the bottom side of a J type pickup.

Maybe someone is able / willing to look? :roll:

Here are the pickups from my '81 ES100J.

They measure 8.21 and 8.50K... but they don't exactly sound and feel that powerful. I guess the magnets are not that strong...

CwVk8jc.jpg

My name is also Marcus and I have an 81 ES100J.
As stated above, the only real distinguishing factors between the two pickup options are that the R pickups are hotter / higher in output.
Been a long time since I checked but my output on both pickups was below 8K

Maybe production wasnt 100 % consistant and the resistance varies lightly, but the R model obviously carries Goto PAFs.

Here is a picture, not from my guitar, but this is exactly how they look

rmlgitrifybcoqg8xvly.jpg

Emiel, you have some '57 PAFs in your guitar instead of Gotoh ones, see insulated wires instead of braided ones.
Tokai used two Gotoh pickup mtypes depending the guitar they were to: 50 and 60s had ceramic magnets and 80s AV.

Regardes.

So the ES100J's had '57 PAFs instead of Gotohs for the ES100R? Interesting. Mine were definitely original to the guitar as the soldering on the (mini) pots were immaculate. Pretty good sounding pickups actually!

From Peter's book. There were 4 types used initially rock and jazz then after the first 2yrs, the paf57. Dimarzio used on es150r es200 and only for 2yrs.

I guess not that way Emiel, Tokai used '57 PAF pickups after 1981, I had then stock in a '84 LC-60.
Yours would have Goto stock.

The pickups in my ‘81 ES-100J look like Emiel’s. White hookup and silver base plates. I plan on swapping them for some Throbaks. If I get to it sooner than later, I can measure the stock pickups. I did swap the magnets to UOA5, which I’m assuming will affect the DCR.

The pickups in my ‘81 ES-100J look like Emiel’s. White hookup and silver base plates. I plan on swapping them for some Throbaks. If I get to it sooner than later, I can measure the stock pickups. I did swap the magnets to UOA5, which I’m assuming will affect the DCR.
Will you sell me your es100J pickups?

Back