Tokai Silver Star 1983

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throstur

Reaction score
I have been offered a Tokai Silver Star 1983 model. Have not seen it yet. What is your opinion on this? I am going to take a look at it tomorrow or Wednesday, it sure would be nice to know something about it when I check it out. Are all Silver Stars born equal, or do they differ in quality and prices within the range like Reborn, Love Rock e.t.c? Owner say's it's sunburst with rosewood fretboard.

They differ with hardware, materials and finish. SS-80s are the top of the heap with I believe SS-36 at the bottom. Nice copies of 707s strats.

I posted a similar question here

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20940

I'm also very interested in understanding how to differentiate between models, e.g. pickups, tuners etc as you can with Goldies.

Is there any where we can find out?

wulfman said:
They differ with hardware, materials and finish. SS-80s are the top of the heap with I believe SS-36 at the bottom. Nice copies of 707s strats.
It must be relevant then, when deciding how much to pay for a Silver Star, to know if it is a SS-36, SS-80 or something in between, right? In my Tokai LP replica gold top the type is stamped in the neck cavity.

Exactly. And I think these re really quite undervalued. Given that they were only made for the Japanese market, and only produced up until '85, there can't be that many in circulation.

They are lovely guitars and I used to have an actual fender 70's three bolt which was horrific.

These Tokai SS guitars are everything the Fenders should have been but weren't! They are built beautifully and don't have wobbly necks and duff playability.

Suki said:
They are lovely guitars and I used to have an actual fender 70's three bolt which was horrific.
I tested one USA Strat 1978 model the other day, it was horrible! Heavy, ugly, dead/dull sounding and with something I would not call rosewood fretboard. I'd rather call it a laminated neck. I have never seen thinner fretboard in my life!

ha ha, i've got a '77 maple neck fender strat (lacquer is coming away from the fret board) and it's a great guitar, no wobbly neck, and a great tone.
:-?

jonah65 said:
ha ha, i've got a '77 maple neck fender strat (lacquer is coming away from the fret board) and it's a great guitar, no wobbly neck, and a great tone.
:-?
You are lucky it's a maple neck ;-)

Back