'84 TLC 60 Value?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12894

Reaction score
Looking to assist a friend with an idea on value of what looks to be a 1984 TLC60 in wine red. Looks to be in good condition with no major dings, just age related wear of the "gold" hardware. He's had it some 20 years & I believe bought from the original owner with a case, though not sure if that's original. I'm going to grab it shortly for a basic setup & pot/switch clean, so will post some pics then.

But he's very much an acoustic man & rarely uses this. Also at the moment at least, it has next to no top end. Even the bridge PUP is very bassy & a bit dead sounding. Will see how a setup & strings goes but the web seems to suggest this just how some of them are. So the logical thing would seem to be to sell it in its original condition to maximise value & spend the cash on something that sounds how he wants in the first place.

Few pics after a quick clean & proper assessment.

hvOx3Nv3OQwAVHj3tVdI06OdXSpOzUCH2L2FB4yXBfn-nTz1MfOqwQAnFqKldYKbdOE=w2400

oQK3QlwmOgezwcx13Te4btbYa0XIqYyVSZ4y_uNC8vSJH_H1dvWi9CYeIx4ISWrgn1w=w2400

9ny810VJTNj_zrJ8VVH2UO40R5Qdds8aNsld0i23HcOwklwVERPGbXL0Q_zhKBCtcIU=w2400

XLBOMyxsbC0rosQhCEJ-obekFg0Q3FngoGSAcD2umUhNCXGoFnao_9AbiVxFJtDRpD8=w2400

It's livened up a bit with new strings & a clean although still a bit dark. But things are a bit worse than at first glance. Guitar body as in overall fair condition for its age & looks to my untrained eye to be a single piece. Quite a few impression dings but no damage to the finish. The nut is chipped & needs replacing & the tuner posts look odd, as in they seem too short for the thickness of the headstock. So there's little space for the strings to wind below the hole in the post

But the biggest issue is the frets, with pretty much everything up to the 12th being completely flat. Not seen anything like it before & wonder if it's a bodged attempt at levelling, but the upper frets are fine. So bit of a mystery & I'm not sure there's enough left to perform a proper level & crown, so may well require a refret. Which takes us back to the question of value & whether it's worth having the work done or just sell it as a project. Ebay is providing little help there.

Those look like Tokai tuners.

The body should be a 2 piece mahogany top and a one piece back possibly? The TLC100/110 was all one piece in spite of the odd translations below.

Fretboard is rosewood dyed dark to look like ebony. Ebony used on the TLC100/110.

Those pickups are MK2s. Not everyone is a fan so that doesn't surpise me.

Finish is poly.

1984 catalog:

BvELgr2.jpg

Z8c3wPS.jpg

DodFgTe.jpg

BFmNRss.jpg

dvMPb5u.jpg

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. LC60 does seem to be the best fit.

Even allowing for that Reverb dealer being a bit optimistic & that guitar being in significantly better condition, even a full refret would seem to be worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back