Pickups for Love Rock (favorites)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09flyingV

Reaction score
Wanting to swap out the mkII’s in my ls70 for a pair of Whisker buckers or a set of CS Pearly Gates. Whats everyone’s favorite pickups to throw in these Love Rocks?

ps: i know pickups are a personal taste thing, just curious..

I have had the old DiMarzio PAFs in a few guitars and like them.

oeKIVo1.jpg

VvarpBh.jpg

4koHve1.jpg

J6v028M.jpg

They came in LS100 and above back in the day.

fjjvUGo.jpg

Right now Im thinking about putting Wizz premium PAF clones https://www.wizz-pickups.net/home

I have tried them on other guitars and they are spectacular. Original PAF clones to the smallest detail, except they are made in Croatia.

Kinda pricey to put on my Chinese or Korean Love Rock but what the hell, It deserves some love after all this time. :)

Nemanzg said:
Right now Im thinking about putting Wizz premium PAF clones https://www.wizz-pickups.net/home

I have tried them on other guitars and they are spectacular. Original PAF clones to the smallest detail, except they are made in Croatia.

Kinda pricey to put on my Chinese or Korean Love Rock but what the hell, It deserves some love after all this time. :)

Those look cool, first time ive heard of them. I kinda feel the same about the Whisker Buckers or Pearly Gates. The PG’s are $350 and the WB are $450. Is it crazy to put that expensive of pickups in a $900 guitar?

09flyingV said:
Nemanzg said:

Those look cool, first time ive heard of them. I kinda feel the same about the Whisker Buckers or Pearly Gates. The PG’s are $350 and the WB are $450. Is it crazy to put that expensive of pickups in a $900 guitar?

When that G.A.S. kicks in, its crazy not to :D

In my case im thinking, this guitar has been with me for almost 13 years, I recorded three albums on it and toured Europe many times, Its been to more countries than most people I know, including China or Korea (remains unknown) and it did a wonderfull job, I liked the way it played and people liked the way it sounded.
I'll also install a new Tonepros lockin bridge and change the electronics, maybe Mojotone premium prewired harness, when you add that up, I could just buy a new guitar but I already have 7 and mostly play only the two that are on my living room wall.
I guess Im sentimental but upgrading guitars is so much fun and you can get parts from all over the world and realy customize your instrument .
Short anwswer- go for it :D

Old DiMarzios are good, I have several sets as spare. I have tried Wolfetone with very good results, neck pickup specially, Antiquities in an old ES100 and, for the winner, Rolph Pretenders 58 set. Also some some old 2011 Throbacks working really good on a Joe Walsh.

I had SD alnico 2 pros for a couple of years but for the last 15 years I've been using a set of Bareknuckle Mules. Love them, don't have any reason to switch.

Wanting to swap out the mkII’s in my ls70 for a pair of Whisker buckers or a set of CS Pearly Gates. Whats everyone’s favorite pickups to throw in these Love Rocks?

ps: i know pickups are a personal taste thing, just curious..

Howdy! Well, on the subject of LS70s, here's my little darlin' - 1998 LS70-F Love Rock w/ locking keystone tuners installed and Seymour Duncan Seth Lover p/ups... it is my daily driver for recording sessions where the song needs a little more beef. I have run out of superlatives describing how this thing sounds and feels (and yes, I still have the original GOTOH p/ups, but the Seth Lovers just have that little extra "authentic mojo".) I figured that since Seth invented the humbucker for Gibson, then he should know what they're supposed to sound like. And since he was a consultant for Seymour Duncan, I rekon they were made correctly(y). You can get on the SD website and read all about 'em there. If my feeble memory serves me correctly, the Seth Lovers are identical to the originals by nature of the coils not being "potted"; they were also wound on one of the actual original winding machines from the Kalamazoo, MI plant. That's pretty OG in my book...

TOKAI.jpeg
TOKAI 02.png

Back