Fake ? Tokai SG with Screen printed serial

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basslondon

Reaction score
I just bought a Tokai SG with a printed( screen printed?) serial 90 xxxxx. I understand there were inkies but this looks similar to the type usually prefixed with CH rather than the injury versions. It was from a pawn shop so the price was super cheap at £150 but then the knowledge of the shop precluded an assumption of any kind of expertise. It needs a bit of work and one of the tuners has broken so it’s not particularly valuable I guess …

My question is this, does this sound like a fake?

I would post pics but I have no idea how to ….apologies. Do I need to use some external hosting site?

2022-10-05-20-49-21-642.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Managed to upload images.Unfortunately IMGUR doesnt allow UK accounts... this is on postimage but seems to work all the same.

Hard to say. Same font as Chinese guitars like you said.

You may never know for sure where it was made.

Chinese and Korean Tokais are low end guitars. The body of that guitar is probably not mahogany. Fretboard is probably not rosewood. Scarf joint as you said.

These are a gamble unless you have played it and like it.

It’s a very different animal than a MIJ Tokai.

At that price you aren’t risking much.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks for your quick reply. It plays nice just gotta replace the broken tuner and change the strings tweak the neck/ and action. Like you say I’m not into ridiculous money and joe public doesn’t care what you play half the time!

You’re welcome. A lot like of the Chinese and Korean Tokais are good players. Good one to take to gigs and not worry so much if something happens to it.

Good luck. 👍🏼

basslondon said:
…Like you say I’m not into ridiculous money and joe public doesn’t care what you play half the time!

It’s not what you play, but how you play. Rock on. 8)

The best guitars are not the ones that live under the bed or in the closet in my opinion. They are the ones you pick up and use.

Back