Legacy Series

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
In another thread a new member was asking about a goldtop LP with the word "Legacy" on the TRC.

At first glance these "Legacy" labeled guitars sure look suspicious, and I believe they are very likely counterfeits.

The problem is that there is not a lot of info from Tokai about its operations in countries like China, Korea, etc. so it's hard to know what exactly these are.

The Tokai logo on the headstock is the wrong logo for LPs. It's the old logo used on Tokai acoustics, never on LPs.

They also used white paint or a sticker for the "Love Rock" script which looks like it came from a word processing font and not at all what we are used to seeing silk screened on Love Rocks.

Looking at the back of the headstock you see no serial number, but the words "Crafted in China" and what appears to be the model number.

In total, these guitars are unlike anything Tokai has ever done and sure appear to be counterfeit guitars making money off of the Tokai brand.

coXapmJ.png

cKuWLC6.png

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26633

https://www.musocity.com.au/product...-electric-guitar-black?variant=29498547896403

The Tokai ‘Legacy’ series is manufactured in China using modern tone woods and construction methods to create the most affordable Tokai guitars and basses ever.
The Legacy series provides players from all walks of life with the chance to experience these high quality affordable vintage inspired instruments in a wide range of iconic shapes and designs.

The Tokai TL-ST features classic ST style design, 60's style medium profile neck, vintage style hardware and Tokai 'Legacy' single-coil pickups.

BRAND: Tokai
MODEL: TL-ST-BLK/R
SERIES: Legacy
INSTRUMENT: Electric Guitar
SHAPE: ST
COLOUR: Black
DEXTERITY: Right
STRINGS: 6
STRING TYPE: Steel

BODY: Basswood
NECK: Canadian Maple Bolt-On
NECK STYLE: 60's Style Medium D
FINGERBOARD: Kabukalli
FINISH: Urethane
MACHINE HEADS: Vintage ST Style
BRIDGE: Vintage ST Style Tremolo
PICKUPS: Tokai Legacy S/S/S
ELECTRONICS: 1 Volume, 2 Tones with 5 Way Switch
WIRING: Modern ST
SCALE LENGTH: 25.5"
NUT: 42mm
FRETS: 22
WARRANTY: 2 Year
HARD CASE: None

LENGTH: 986mm
DEPTH: 62mm
UPPER BOUT: 274mm
WAIST: 230mm
LOWER BOUT: 320mm
WEIGHT: 2.8 kg Approximately

SsX3DvT.png

6P5BAUF.png

mX80cuV.png

Someone is making these "Legacy" labeled guitars in a lot of different models.

If these are in fact counterfeits, it is a huge operation and doing significant damage to the Tokai brand.

I also find it interesting that if these are fakes, that they are emulating modified headstocks so as not to offend Fender while damaging Tokai.

None of these guitars seem to have serial numbers. All seem to be very low cost guitars, but they are being sold for a pretty penny.

Would love to hear the official word from the new management at Tokai about what these are.

A couple located in the UK for sale on Reverb.

Remember my comment about backdoor models from contractors engaged by Tokai Japan. It's always going to happen with Chinese factories.

That makes sense as there are a finite number of factories that can make guitars.

It's so weird that a factory that contracts with Tokai might jeopardize that relationship by trying to make a buck on lower cost models.

But I guess it is not that coordinated? More like someone submits a request to build "such and such" and "put this logo on it".

Or maybe there are no legal consequences in China? I am guessing these laws are not really enforced in China?

But they likely are in Australia...

No copyright laws in China, especially if the original is from outside China. Remember, if you are legitimately buying goods from China, you pay upfront and hope the stuff arrives to spec you requested. If it isn't, expect protracted discourse and return of the entire container load at your cost before you even have a chance to get your money back.

So maybe the takeaway is don't order a container load of counterfeit guitars? 8)

The takeaway is, be aware when dealing with Chinese manufacturing companies. Your own business could be sideswiped and disappear very quickly from under your feet. I've seen it happen to company I worked for, took just 18 months to bankruptcy. I've seen other examples too!
If you wander around the streets of Chinese Cities, you will see many examples of copied Western designs manufactured and sold with Chinese brand names. They will eventually be exported to compete directly. See all the Chinese motorcycles that are being sold in the West and not just mopeds.

Well in this case it looks like someone contracted with a mfr in China and put a Tokai logo on a bunch of guitars that were not authorized by Tokai and passed them off as real Tokais.

The dealers claim to be unaware. Check on line to see how they are being sold to this day.

I honestly feel like dealers that sell these bear some responsibility. Anyone familiar with other Tokais would have to question these.

I'm afraid the profit motive may be driving some of these folks to venture into an area where they may be participating in a crime, knowingly or otherwise.

The profit motive, is what sends businesses to China in the first place but it can also your death too!
I did see an advert on Aliexpress for TOKAI guitars in bulk at around $50 each iirc. Clearly not legit versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003476467681.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.568e3f8bBMIyLW&algo_pvid=2a4472e2-247a-47a2-94eb-c03a8ab347c4&algo_exp_id=2a4472e2-247a-47a2-94eb-c03a8ab347c4-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000025961304020%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21GBP%21212.45%21195.45%21%21%219.73%21%21%402100bdf116645201951083794ea9e4%2112000025961304020%21sea&curPageLogUid=lvZAPdC1gBkP

888 available. See the headstock picture, price is higher than a few yrs ago.

https://cnguitar.en.made-in-china.com/product/sKuQmGWbbVpd/China-Factory-Delivery-Hand-Made-Cultural-Relics-Srv-Electric-Guitar-Alder-Body-Gold-Accessories-Low-Noise-Preferential-Price.html

SRV replica

A lot more guitars on that website from $10. Also you will be able to see which factories are involved.

Latest posts

Back