Serial Tokai Explorer 081747

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peekhof

Reaction score
Hi, I got a Tokai Explorer (I think).
Trying to figuring out what model it is and year and
Where it’s produced. Can anyone help me?
It’s a 6 digit without letters.

Serial is : 081747

Any pics of the front of the headstock?

Just paste the Bbcode and we won’t have to click links to see your pictures.

Looks like it’s Chinese or possibly Korean. There were some Korean Tokais with 6 digit serial numbers.

It’s not Japanese.

There are some indicators of which it would be based on electronics and hardware.

My loose guess would be Chinese made in 2008, but consider that as a guess. Hopefully someone else will comment with more info.

I would say that is a huge clue. There is just not a lot of reliable info on the Korean made Tokais. Tokai contracts with off shore mfrs to build their lower cost models. For a time that was in Korea and now in China.

It sure seems like this may be one of the Korean builds. I'm not sure if their serial number would reflect the year of mfr like the Chinese ones (2008)? And I am not sure of the exact years that we are thinking Tokai had guitars built in Korea, Tokai has never shared that openly, but this is around that time I believe.

If it is Korean, there was probably a small gold foil sticker that said "Made in Korea" somewhere on the neck that was removed at some point.

sBMSVjB.png

Qe8I6cp.png

Here is a thread I started on Korean Tokais to try and collect info on them since there is not much out there. Might be interesting to look through there. Short on info, but collecting pictures begins to build a catalog of what they made in Korea.

Also lots of fake Tokais (Fakais) out there as well which muddy the waters.

Yours looks pretty nice, so I am guessing it is a legit Korean built Tokai, and some of them can be pretty good guitars from what I have gathered.

Check it out:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26241&p=196546#p196546

Thanks all for comments and suggestions.
Somebody local claims it’s an Tokai EX73 from China.

OK. Why are they saying it is from China? Chinese serial numbers typically begin with letters.

We have seen other examples of 6 digit Korean builds, and those tuners stamped "Korea" are hard to ignore.

I believe there is a post on here somewhere from a member named Paladin2019. I believe he was describing the post size for the bridge as a way to tell Chinese from Korean possibly? Maybe he will stop in and see this thread?

Also, looks like Korean model LPs often used mini pots.

8612007446_324f280ab5_b.jpg

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20753

Here's a 7 digit serial without letter prefix that was made in China. Still a bit of a mystery, but I am still leaning towards Korean production for your EX.

Hopefully someone else here knows more.

Reborn Old said:
I know for certain the made in China sticker below is authentic and original.

8899679284_09c8dbe9c2_z.jpg

I just noticed that the Korean guitars with serial numbers, aside from the Fakais which we suspect were made in China, do not follow an apparent year built scheme like the Chinese builds.

It is very tempting to say that the ones that follow a year built scheme are likely Chinese like the "FC" serial numbers, the "Fakais", and even your guitar. The "CN" serial numbers certainly follow that pattern.

Interesting trend since the "J serial" one I just linked and another Rick copy that clearly say "Made in Korea" in silk screened paint do not seem to directly relate to a year built number and seem to follow a different system altogether.

LT5OOBe.jpg

LSYXMeo.png

So yours may be Chinese. Sorry it is so muddled. Just not a lot of reliable info out there, so we are piecing together a puzzle in most cases.

I have the same guitar and it says Made in Korea. Serial number has no letters in the front. It just has 6 numbers. 902253
I just assumed it was made in 1990 but am totally clueless. Any help for identifying mine would be appreciated also!

Latest posts

Back