What Does ALC In The Model Name Designate...?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmeades

Reaction score
I have found information regarding the ALS prefex for Model Names with one reference indicating these models were built "from 1985 to 1986 or late - US Market only" and the other indicating "ALS models from 1995 to present are manufactured in Korean"...

However, I don't seem to be able to find any informaiton on Tokai models with prefixes that begin with ALC, such as ALC70, like the one I just purchased and am currently waiting to arrive.

Does anyone know what the ALC designates...?

Can some information about this possibly be added to the "Tokai Gibson Copy Information" area so it can be easily found and accessed by others looking to identify their Tokai ALC model guitars...?

Thx...

2005 hans-j?rgen Interview with Shohei Adachi, Tokai president.

Q10: What did the additional characters like "A" or "N" in front of the usual "LS" mean in the past? In the 2003-2004 catalog it seems that "ALS" stands for Korean models for the domestic Japanese market, i.e. with the exact Gibson headstock shape. On the other hand the available "ALS" models from Tokai UK do not have the exact headstock, so is there a rule what these additional characters mean or meant? Another example would be "NES" for export models of the ES copies.

A10: In 1980's we sold LS model with modified headstock to the USA, which model number is ALS. So actually A means America and the modified headstock. In 2002 we modified LS body and headstock and tried to sell them in the USA, which model is NLS models. N means New. So NLS model has a modified body and neck. NES model is ES body and a modified headstock. So the body was not modified. So we know there is some coufusion about the model number.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4434

So the "A" can mean that it has a headstock with an 'export dimple' for sales in markets where Gibson holds sway, as in the US. At least in that period (2005). This is not always true however. I have seen plenty of LSs and LCs with an "A" prefix and the open book. So who knows?

Does yours have the dimpled headstock?

"Export dimple" (Chinese model shown).

9wv8tNc.jpg

The 2018 catalog I have says that the ALC70 has a maple neck (not mahogany), rosewood board (not ebony).

These lower cost materials are kind of the signature of a lot of the MIC Tokais. (tied in with your other related thread on the CN serial number)

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26606

2018/19 catalog (Vol 31)

N8rSO3Z.jpg

Latest posts

Back