Help With Vintage MIJ

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All. First post. Forgive me, but I’ve been bitten by the vintage MIJ bug and have lots of questions! I don’t see quite the right subforum to post my questions, so please move this to the right forum if needed.

I bought a 1978 Fernandes FSA-60 (335 copy) and it is one of the best guitars I have ever played. It has made me want to replace most of my other guitars with more vintage MIJ goodness! I love the sound (awesome pickups!) and playability of the guitar…like butter! My only “gripe” is that some of the finishing touches are less than stellar, but that’s cosmetics (binding in some spots, logo is slightly askew, and so are the tuners).

Is there a consensus on who made the best guitars in that era between Greco, Tokai, and Fernandes/Burny? I understand that Fernandes Stone Logo and Revival Series guitars are the best Fernandes to be had. Not sure what Burnys best years are. What about Grecos and Tokais? And is one brand known better for bolt-ons and another for set necks?

I am looking from a build quality/playability point of view, and obviously stellar sound quality. Cosmetics are secondary to an extent (I don’t care for flamed or highly figured tops, for example). Are there years where the build quality was still very good but the pickups became mediocre?

I could ask a hundred more questions but I’ll stop there for now!

Nobody made the "best" guitars.

People have favourites, but the best guitars from each of those builders are all as good as each other.

And re: Tokai and Fernandes, it seems that Tokai built Fernandes were lower end guitars relative to Tokai branded guitars made in the same period.

Cheaper hardwear, etc. on the Fernandes guitars in general.

I know there were some exceptional Fernandes guitars made later by Fujigen I think? See that other thread on Fernandes strats.

Wow, thanks! So looks like a bit of a puzzle to put together. I guess I got lucky with my Fernandes…super happy with it. Finding myself constantly browsing vintage MIJ on eBay and Reverb. Is there a better place to look?

Lol. First you have to narrow down the type of guitar you want, and then go from there.

Lots of variability in construction materials, specs, price, age, etc.

Latest posts

Back