Tokai LC195s-BB is it real or fake? BOUGHT

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar404

Reaction score
Looking for buying it, haven’t found any catalogues for 2015, so I’m not sure if it’s true a fake. The serial number tells it’s 2015 production year, did Tokai produce the LC195s in 2015?
Can’t find a lot of info about this model generally, maybe somebody will help

Thanks a lot!

Kind of sounding like it could be what was later called an LC230S BB (price increase?).

Again... pics needed.

2018/19 catalog

zqlQ0pf.jpg

Yess, the same as on reverb. MOP, ebony fretboard, Gotoh gold tuners, open book headstock

The only thing that’s confusing is serial number starting from “15” and no info about the model in catalogues

How to upload pictures here?

Thanks a lot for answers!

One more question: I was thinking about Gibson LP std early 2008 (chambered, deluxe tuners) used for $1300 which is nice
Now found the LC195 new for $1170 that attracts me. I’ve never played Tokai and no chance to try before buying, but specks are so nice
Is it worth buying instead of Gibson?

I’ve never owned a chambered/weight relieved guitar.

The Tokai has a solid one piece mahogany back, two piece maple top.

The quality of Tokai in Japan's craftsmanship is top notch. The MK2 pickups are OK, but pickups are very personal I think.

And there are no catalogs on line for 2015. If the serial number is similar to the Reverb post and a 7 digit impressed number starting with "15" and no letters, then it’s likely legit and made in Japan.

How to post pics:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25951

LC195S

¥ 204,750 (¥ 195 000)
with Hard Shell Case

BODY: Maple Two Pieces Top, Mahogany One Piece Back
NECK: Mahogany One Piece Set-Neck, Deep Joint
FINGERBOARD: Ebony
POSITION MARKS: Mother of Pearl
BRIDGE: HLS-VB ( Brass Saddle) Bridge, HLS-VT Aluminum Tailpiece
PICKUPS: PAF- Vintage MK2x2
CONTROLS: 2V., 2T., 3way-SW
VOLUME POT: CTS
CONDENSER : Sprague Orange Drop
JACKS: SwItchcraft
FINISH: Lacquer Finish
COLOR: BB

7125-EDB1-3804-475-D-9-A4-D-9-E9-A6-F80-E2-E0.png

FC691-C63-781-E-494-D-A30-A-B6-FE5-E5-C803-D.png

4-FC79996-EEA7-44-FA-98-A0-B9-A15-BAB23-A5.png

3-ACFBC05-DE47-4524-8426-5770-F852-AFE7.png

Seems to be legit and $1170 for a new guitar seems to be a good price

Thank you so much for help, really friendly forum

That looks legit to me. Beautiful guitar.

The LC195S has a 2 piece maple cap, the LC200S has a mahogany 1 piece cap.

No idea what the construction is on the Gibson you are looking at, and that company has historically not been very open about their construction methods on their LPs.

Tokai made an engineered body in that period too, the LC142S SEB... The SEB had a middle section that was mahogany, but the grain was arranged perpendicular to the top and back for sound transference. One way to tell them apart is that the LC142 had a rosewood fretboard.

Again, your fretboard looks like ebony to me from what I can see, so it should be the LC195S.

4Faykr2.png

Thanks, there’s ebony on the item I’m going to purchase, now made up my mind, will be out for delivery soon.

Thank you for your assistance!

Hi there!
Finally got an agreement with seller, the beauty has to be with me on Saturday-Sunday.

Is $1170 a reasonable price for a new LC195s? Or it’s not rude to ask for a bit of discount?

Another question. In catalogues LC195 comes with lacquer finish, mine has poly finish. Production year is 2015 accordingly to serial number. Seller said it was a special run for 70 anniversary of Tokai Guitars/non-catalogue production.
Is that ok and makes sense? Do Tokai make non-catalogue models often?

The seller has several Tokais (ls440, ls122s, es172) for sale, all of them look nice and legit, cases look same legit (brown Tokai lp cases like Gibson custom shop brown ones)

That’s odd. And yes there are plenty of non catalog Tokais out there.

I don’t know why it would have poly finish? That would make it less expensive and a different model because of that.

It’s possible that the seller is wrong and that it is lacquer. Tokai lacquer can be hard to determine with an acetone test.

Plus there is a thread on here that talks about how broadly the term "lacquer" is used these days.

Here’s the link.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26401&p=198112&hilit=Lacquer#p198112

somebodyelseuk said:
"Lacquer" doesn't really tell you anything other than it has a clear top coat. It could be nitro, could be acrylic, poly... could be hair lacquer!

"Lacquer" doesn't definitively mean 'nitrocellulose'.

mdvineng said:
Nitro has been out of use in industry for many years, depending on which country and current legislation. Today's lacquer is a variation on a theme, with longer lasting quicker drying properties and resistance to chemical decay.

Thank you for the reply!

Here is the thing: the guitar I’m purchasing in lc195s-exbb, as seller says. What I’ve found with lc230:

LC230S
FINISH: Nitrocellulose Finish
COLORS: BB (Black)

LC230S-EX: ​Is extra thin Urethane finish

http://www.tokai-guitars.nl/lc230-s.html

Seems they use different paints on the same guitars…
Hopefully, it’s not a cheaper lc136, but 136 don’t have ebony fretboards.

Is the price of 1200 usd ok for a new lc195s?

Is LC195s the same as LC230, just price increased?

When I’m looking through specs, they’re the same for 195 and 230

OowaYF.E7ED05C4-7FF1-47F7-8ADB-C6D80B9BC258.jpg

The finish is tiny, wood structure is visible through the paint

And she’s kicking the liver with resonance when playing

Lol. Beautiful. Congratulations.

The numbers reflect price. So the exact same guitar is called different things over time as prices increase.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back