Tokai Lacquer finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordFanJpn

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone here has any information on this. At the end of last year I bought an LS196 with a "Tokai Lacquer Finish" sticker on it, which I assume would mean that it's finished with lacquer, rather than poly. However, when I put the guitar on a stand that is notorious for eating lacquer (it immediately melted the lacquer on a guitar I had custom built), there was no effect on the finish. I freaked out because I was afraid I had damaged the finish on my new Tokai, but when I picked it up and looked at it, there was not a mark on it. And it's been sitting on that stand now for more than 4 months with no damage to the finish at all. So what's the deal with the Tokai lacquer finish? Is it really a lacquer finish, or do they shoot a clear coat of poly over it to protect it? Inquiring minds want to know.

zCBY8Fw.jpg

"Lacquer" doesn't really tell you anything other than it has a clear top coat. It could be nitro, could be acrylic, poly... could be hair lacquer!

"Lacquer" doesn't definitively mean 'nitrocellulose'.

Nitro has been out of use in industry for many years, depending on which country and current legislation. Today's lacquer is a variation on a theme, with longer lasting quicker drying properties and resistance to chemical decay.

Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that 'lacquer' had such a broad meaning. I guess some study is in order.

If its any consolation, my stand - nitro safe ha-ha - which had already had the original material replaced has marked my LS198, LC235 and LS196, as well as my Gibson LP Traditional and Special. Not much and more noticeably on the Tokais which are the heaviest. So I think it's safe to say be very careful.

rlw said:
If its any consolation, my stand - nitro safe ha-ha - which had already had the original material replaced has marked my LS198, LC235 and LS196, as well as my Gibson LP Traditional and Special. Not much and more noticeably on the Tokais which are the heaviest. So I think it's safe to say be very careful.

I'd almost say that's good news, but sorry to hear that your guitars were marked by a stand. My LS196 has been sitting on the nitro eater for some months now without a mark. I guess I should be happy about that.

Latest posts

Back