Hayashi Shokai - Appears to make some of the parts on newer Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lincolnr

Reaction score
I own a few Tokais, the most recent being a 2011 LS98F in blue, which is a great playing guitar. I noticed that the pots in it were marked "GF Made in Japan" and got curious who the actual maker is. After a lot of Internet searching, it would appear that http://www.hayashi-shokai.co.jp/us_home.html makes these pots, and I noticed that they make a lot of other parts that look a lot like the stuff seen on newer Tokais (pickup rings, selector switches, knobs, etc). Their 5 way selector switch also looks quite a bit like the one on early Springy Sounds (a not-quite-clone of the Centralab switch Fender used for years).

Yes, I don't speak Japanese so I'm not sure, but it looks like Hosco is a distributor of parts made by other companies, and Hayashi Shokai may be the actual manufacturer of the switches in newer Tokais, the "Gf" branded potentiometers, etc. My 2011 Tokai LS98F Love Rock shipped with a pickup selector, pots, and knobs that all look exactly like items in Hayashi Shokai's catalog. I have a couple of Tokai Strat-style guitars, a Silver Star and Goldstar Sound; both of those have an interesting pickup selector switch which has a Matsushita Electric (Panasonic) logo on it. It's interesting in that the detents for the 2 and 4 positions are less firm than the detents for the 1, 3, and 5 positions, compared to the original Centralab 1452 5 way switch, or the Japanese DM-50 switch.

Back