3 screw trust rod cover Tokai Love Rock MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave117

Reaction score
Hi, recently acquired a Tokai Love Rock Les Paul, seller claimed for it to be MIJ 1990 going from the serial number (9060979) I don't see any mark/stamp that say made in Japan. The truss rod cover is also 3 screws, not two. Non of the electronics are original either so can't tell by them. Also the headstock is open-book gibson style with the little dimple in the middle

Does this seem legit? Going from the serial it seems legit, the 3 screw truss rod cover has confused me though, or did some MIJ Tokai's have them?

Pictures are needed for confirmation, but be warned this doesn't sound good. Japanese models have always had two screw truss rod covers and they didn't have dimples in 1990.

It's possible that the cover was changed if this guitar has had a lot of work done to it but we can't tell that without pics.

Hi there, sorry, yes, here are some pics for you to take a look at - https://gyazo.com/collections/425e94f5ab6058b1261054a5f6370ef4

We need pictures of the rest of the guitar. Particularly the bridge and tailpiece, but really as much as you can show us.

If the seller took those pictures they interestingly leave out critical areas.

I can vaguely see what looks like a scarf joint.

https://gyazo.com/collections/a8a11a3e0c41a8d964a4ed740030104f - here's a few more pics guys, no more of the neck joint, but can get an idea of the bridge etc

Those pictures are terrible, probably on purpose, but they can't hide the truth - this guitar is not Japanese. If you paid Japanese money for it you need to get it back.

I'm no expert on these, but looks like what you bought is a Chinese guitar with a scarf joint, laminate top, export dimple, significant wear, & replaced parts.

Laminate visible here where a chunk of the top is missing.

9UsDni0.png

Curious what you paid for it?

Back