Can't figure out what Tokai I've got. Help?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillimayo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a Tokai Love Rock which I'd like to identify. If you guys could help me out that would be much appreciated.

I'd like to know where it was made, what the model is and how much it's worth, but there's no serial number on the guitar.

I'm attaching some pics below. I'm aware that the truss rod cover and the space beneath the pickups can be indicators, but please let me know if there are any more pictures you need.

Wuf25NT.jpg

MrURt0h.jpg

vaV40PS.jpg

b5VLXgp.jpg

NlBUEws.jpg

gcRQbDg.jpg

Ckmgy6a.jpg

Cheers!

Looks to be a mid to late 90's ALS48 in Cherry Sunburst, made in Korea. Page 7 of the 1999 catalogue:

https://www.vintagejapanguitars.com.br/en/tokai-1999-catalogue/

Earlier Korean models didn't have serial numbers. It has cream back plates, cream pickup surrounds, non-variegated green tuner buttons, slotted bridge posts screwed into body inserts, a tailpiece in line with the neck volume knob, and a headstock dimple. The general fit and finish just looks like other Korean guitars I've seen from that era too. The two screw truss rod cover is a potential point of confusion but as you can see from the catalogue the Korean models had both 2 and 3 truss rod cover screws for a while.

It's worth about as much as an Epiphone from the same era.

Thanks for the reply :)

So based on some quick googling, I should be looking for around £400 for this guitar?

£400 seems high to me but if that's what 90s epi Les Paul standards go for in the current market then list it and see if you get a bite. It's been a while since I sold a guitar like this and I know prices are up...

If you want top dollar make sure to give it a good clean and make sure it's set up and playable.

Back