Tokai Guitars in the US

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like Tokais were sold in some places in the US in the 70s and 80s.

Honolulu Advertiser, Honolulu, Hi. Jan. 13, 1974

NMwl3FT.jpg

Tennesseean Newspaper, Nashville, Tn. Aug 19, 1984

anOhXCM.jpg

St. Joseph News, St Joseph, Mo. Feb. 8, 1986

4kQ8YDN.jpg

8) i wanna hear what the general american guitarists think of tokai today. i know tokai is well received and welcome in euro and japan and other areas. is tokai still the fakes in the usa mostly? or something pretty cool? let me know! hope its good!

I never see them here. The ones I have I imported from Japan or bought from someone who imported them. I don't know of any guitar shops that carry them, but I live in a small town.

"I was friends with Larry White as a kid in Mayberry(he owned a store here, and he told me about black market guitars...I didn't know what he meant).
He was the first Tokai Distributor in the states and had a wharehouse full of them in Lakeview, Ohio.(30 miles away...after his store closed.....I am talking 1000's of them...Strats/Teles/LP's)
I was there as a 16 year old.)
Told me a 100- for as many as I wanted......Ha...I had no money or idea!!!!
Years later...I got hip."

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ck-with-flame-brazzy-lollar-imperials.457640/

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys

As far as I'm aware, the altered headstock was for US only.

I know for a fact that Japan and Australia never sold the altered headstock - they were traditional headstock through to at least the 1990's.
As for UK and Europe, I'm not sure, but I thought they followed the Japan styling.
In terms of dealers, the 3 biggest Markets were...
U.S. Tokai Guitars USA, Lakeview, OHIO 43331
U.K. Blue Suede Music, Lancaster, England LA15AG
Aus Tokai Music Aust., Flemington, Sydney,NSW 2140

Unfortunately all 3 have now closed. I worked at Tokai Nusic Aust and have kept folders of information from my time there so my perspective is a little unique.

regards
Peter Mac

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11644&start=15

In the 80's Robin Guitars was a big importer of Tokai's. The early Robin's were built in the same factory. Growing up in Houston and hanging out at the retails store Rockin Robin there were always a bunch of Tokai's which is where I learned about them. The retail was the same as the guitar manufacturer - Robin Guitars.

Latest posts

Back