Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tony Dukes & Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is an auction I found for an AST-56 that was apparently given to SRV as part of an endorsement deal in 1985.

Based on the documentation in the auction, SRV was given two "lawsuit" guitars by Tony Dukes of IMC in Texas in 1984. IMC also distributed Tokai guitars. One of the "lawsuit" guitars was a Springy shown on the cover of his album "Texas Flood".

Then in 1985 he was apparently given another 5 guitars.

This is an auction for one of the guitars given to him in 1985.

https://bid.gwsauctions.com/auction/60/item/stevie-ray-vaughans-stage-used-tokai-ast-56-guitar-9945/

(*Note the error where the auction listing says 1993. I assume that is supposed to be 1983?)

Stevie Ray Vaughan's Stage Played 1985 Tokai AST-56 Electric Guitar Featured on Catalog & Poster W/Extensive Documentation -

This 1985 Tokai AST-56 electric guitar was an endorsement guitar played on stage and pictured on print advertisement by iconic blues musician Stevie Ray Vaughan. Stevie Ray Vaughan had a relationship with International Music Corporation, the U.S distributor of Tokai Musical instruments made in Japan, since 1993 when they sold him two demo guitars for less than dealers cost.

Stevie Ray and Tommy Shannon were approached in 1985 by Tony Dukes, who was a friend of Stevie Ray's and worked for IMC, to see if they would be interested in an endorsement deal.

After the deal was made they gave the musicians 5 guitars and 2 basses over the next few months, including this AST-56, which was played by Stevie Ray on stage in Worcester, Massachusetts on March, 24th 1985. Stevie Ray Vaughan was also featured with this guitar in a photoshoot for the Tokai 1985 catalog with the artist on the cover and a large poster with multiple images including Stevie Ray and Tommy Shannon.

This guitar comes with a notarized letter of authenticity from Tony Dukes, who set up the endorsement deal, a copy of the endorsement contract, and a letter of authenticity from the collector who acquired it from Dukes. Serial No. 2045.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is considered to be one of the most iconic and influential musicians in the history of blues music, and one of the greatest guitarists of all time. After quickly becoming one of the leading figures in the blues revival of the 1980s, Vaughan and four others were tragically killed in a helicopter crash in 1990. Vaughan's music continued to achieve commercial success with several posthumous releases and has sold over 15 million albums in the United States alone.

PLEASE NOTE, PRE-AUCTION SALES: GWS reserves the right to sell any Lot(s) through a negotiated transaction at any time prior to the conclusion of the auction. If a Lot is sold through a negotiated transaction, it will be withdrawn from the auction. Please email [email protected] to submit a pre-auction offer.

KUlJfon.png

kG76YMh.png

SUlFa7O.png

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20938&p=195364&hilit=poster+srv#p195364

Sigmania said:
I finally got to the end of the road as far as I can tell. I contacted Craig Hopkins, who "wrote the book" on SRV. Maybe there is someone at Tokai that would talk about it? I don't know.

Here is what Craig wrote to me:

Tony Dukes would have been the one to say for sure, but my guess is that may be his writing on the contract, or it could be Lenny's. It is definitely not Stevie's handwriting or signature. Tony told me he set the deal up but that Stevie refused to endorse the guitars, and that he and Tommy Shannon were not happy about it, accusing Tony of "selling them out." Tokai used Stevie's photo on the poster and catalog, but my understanding is that Stevie never agreed. I have seen one Tokai poster Stevie was asked to autograph, and he blacked out the name Tokai and wrote in big letters, "I use Fender" across it. However, Stevie took the free Tokais that Tony got for him, and I don't think he gave them back, or at least not all of them.

BTW, Tony passed away and Craig said this is discussed in his book, Stevie Ray Vaughan Day By Day Night After Night.

Seems like I may need to grab a copy!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0965492729

As a side note... This is in the period of 1984/85 after Tokai was sued by Fender in the UK.

Lawsuit?

That AST has the non offending head stock, so his relationship with Tokai spanned this period.

Sometime after this SRV supposedly scratched out the name Tokai on a poster he was asked to sign with black marker and wrote "I play Fender".

Last edited:
Craig Hopkins speculated that that may be Tony Duke's handwriting on the contract.

Tony worked at IMC which also distributed Tokai.

Looks like he was the one trying to get SRV to play Tokais, and apparently had earlier given him the Springy that was on the "Texas Flood" cover?

Here is another of the 5 guitars apparently given to SRV in 1985.

Sigmania said:
And then the guitar in the OP sold for over $20,000!

"STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN OWNED AND USED TOKAI GUITAR 1980s

A Tokai Stratocaster-style guitar, Serial No. 0800, natural cherry to black sunburst finish, double cutaway body, 21 fret fingerboard, with three standard Stratocaster-style single coil pickups, selector switch, three rotary controls and black pickguard, owned and used by Stevie Ray Vaughan on stage and in the studio. Vaughan also used this guitar in a Tokai promotional poster in which he can be clearly seen holding the instrument, a copy of which is also included. Also present is a letter of authenticity and an original hardshell case. "

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=4417853

http://www.tokaiforum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=164946

From W.R."Tony" Duke's obituary.

April 15, 1952 - January 07, 2013

Tony graduated in a class of ten from Paint Rock, Texas and enjoyed minoring in art at UT Austin. Music became his heartbeat. He 'always worked and played in a band' to survive and counted his blessings in knowing and playing with some of the finest musicians in blues and rock from 1970-2000; he is known as 'one of the last real Texas bluesmen' and gained recognition world wide.

He called the mysterious Marfa lights of West Texas his ‘friends’; and he found himself under the lights of stage and fame as a blues bass player. He rode like the wind within the booming music business of the 70's-90's selling and collecting some of the most historic vintage Gibson guitars, playing and working with gentle souls to some of the most infamous musicians and individuals.

Published in over 100 publications throughout the US, UK, Mexico and Canada, he won three songwriting awards and two photo awards. As one of the original Texas Tornados, he achieved notoriety in the Texas Music Hall of Fame. He was "rollin down the road in some cold blue steel" in his lyric line co-written for I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. And, thus, his ever-creative influence on writing, production, stage, band and blues ingenuity of his Dallas based band, Cold Blue Steel. The band's first CD, Drivin to Mexico, was largest independent selling blues release in Texas history.

Legendary electric bass player and Texas Tornado Hall of Famer, Tony's pedigree expands beyond the Tornados to songrwiting and into music history, playing alongside: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Vaughn, Ed King/Skynyrd, James Burton, Ansley Dunsbar, Rick Neilsen, Elliot Easton, Eric Johnson, Ted Nugent, Billy Gibbons, and others.

He sold more 57-60 Les Pauls than anyone else in the business. Clients included Lightnin' Hopkins, Jimmy Reed, the Eagles, Eric Clapton, the Allman Brothers, Charlie Daniels, Christopher Cross, Don Felder, Glen Frey, Joe Walsh, John Staheley, BillyGibbons, Ted Nugent, etc. He recovered Jimi Hendrix' strat (and made Rolling Stone magazine).

He played in opening shows, to name a few, for Ringo Star, Bo Diddley, Delbert McClinton and .38 Special. His band was the first caucasian band to play BB King's in Memphis. And, he always remembered his Texas blues roots.

http://memorialwebsites.legacy.com/dukes/homepage.aspx

Didn't realize they actually had hang tags with him on them...

Edit: these seem to be much later guitars with the hang tags. I’ve seen two now. Possibly Korean. Likely unauthorized hang tags.

Need help with Goldstar Sound

cdw123:

I picked this guitar up the other day. It came with the Stevie Ray Vaughn poster and hang tag. I know Stevie signed with Tokai back around 85/86.I was wondering if anyone had seen a hangtag for the guitar before. There's no serial number on the back plate either. I haven't pulled the neck off to have a look yet.

Thanks

image_zpsr68lhapm.jpg
image_zpsoeyugjzd.jpg

Attachments

• image_zps0er541xw.jpg
    image_zps0er541xw.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • image_zps1495966t.jpg
    image_zps1495966t.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
1983 USA Ad

This is for IMC which is the Tony Dukes connection.

7okai
IT'S HIGH TIME

The premier guitars of Europe and Japan available now in the USA. The serious choice for serious players a select group of vintage and contemporary styles from $375.00.

Tokai
Design excellence
IMC International Music Corporation
PO. BOX 2344
FORT WORTH, TEXAS 76113
PHONE: (817) 336-5114

30602-63c996caae045a008271472f6adbc9e3-1.jpg

Edit: I misread your question.

I think I found two locations in Texas and two in Ohio.

Last edited:
Back