Tokai ls70f

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NishiNef

Reaction score
So I have been a long time lurker on these boards for a while, and recently (as the title says) bought a Tokai ls70f - the serial dates it as 1998 and I imported it directly from Japan.
Been trying to find any info on this beast but so far I have found slim pickings - it has the open book headstock, the 'ls70f' written in the pup cavity, bridge screwed directly into wood and all that, but now I find the reason might be because Tokai change the designated numbering depending on what the Yen is doing..?
So in a nutshell...help! Anyone have ANY idea what or where to find out more info?

I believe the LS70 has a two piece African mahogany body and a veneer top. Polyurethane finish.

The “F” I believe stands for flame top.

LS70F Body : Flamed sycamore laminated rock maple top/Mahogany 2pc back.
Neck : Mahogany set neck.
Fingerboard : Rosewood.
Pickups/PAF-Vintage MK2
Finish/Polyurethane
Color/Cherry_sunburst/Violin_finish/Indigo_blue/See_through_red
Other/Pick-guard
A case is not included.
Made in Japan.
Price/List price 70,000yen >>> your price call This list price is about $560 US Dollars.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1466

Above and beyond, my friend, truly appreciated!
Now for the confusing part; I am reading how the change in Yen rates changes how Tokai catalogue/determine what it is nowadays..? Is that right?
And is this spec the same as a Gibson 59 build or am I being misdirected by an over enthusiastic yet undereducated luthier friend?

Yes about the price and model number. It can get confusing.

As for an R9 Gibson, they are different. An R9 has a solid flamed maple top, one piece mahogany body, and lacquer finish I believe? Neck profile is probably different too.

So they are apples and oranges.

But I hope you didn't pay $5,000 for it either.... 8)

Nothing quite that pricey😂😂 To be fair, though, it would be worth it for how it plays and feels!
Any pointers how I can guage what this model would be listed as now, the 2021 equivalent?

I’m not up on current models.

Possibly similar to the LS136F?

BRAND: Tokai
MODEL: LS136F VF
SERIES: Vintage
INSTRUMENT: Electric Guitar
SHAPE: LP
COLOUR: Violin Finish
DEXTERITY: Right
STRINGS: 6
STRING TYPE: Steel

BODY: Two Piece Mahogany with Book-Matched Flamed Maple Veneer on Maple Cap
NECK: One Piece Mahogany Set Neck
NECK STYLE: Hybrid 50's/60's Medium
FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
FINISH: Thin-Skin Polyurethane
MACHINE HEADS: Gotoh Kluson Style
BRIDGE: LS-VB Bridge with LS-VT Tailpiece
PICKUPS: PAF MK2×2 (Made In Japan)
ELECTRONICS: Gotoh and Switchcraft
WIRING: Modern Style
SCALE LENGTH: 24.75"
NUT: Bone 43mm
FRETS: 22
WARRANTY: 5 Years
HARD CASE: Deluxe Tokai Hard Case

LENGTH: 1004mm
DEPTH: 59mm
UPPER BOUT: 232mm
WAIST: 184mm
LOWER BOUT: 329mm
WEIGHT: 3.9kg Approximately

https://tokaiguitarsaustralia.com.a...me-top-lp-style-electric-guitar-violin-finish

That is pretty awesome sleuthing, gotta say😳 👏👏👏👏
I know Tokais are not the easiest thing to figure out - part of their charm, I suppose, along with the build quality and such. Well, for now at least I have some answers and a direction to go to find further ones😊 Thank you so much!🤘

Not exactly the same. The LS70F is apparently flamed sycamore laminated over a maple cap. The LS136F is flamed maple laminated over a maple cap. Sycamore is less expensive than maple. Not sure if they are still using laminated sycamore?

As an aside, it’s crazy how they can laminate a compound curve and have it look perfect. Mind boggling craftsmanship.

Well one of the reasons I rate Tokai over any other guitar is simply the build and materials - even the Chinese made Korean ones have a quality to them most others simply don't. Always loved Les Pauls and owned a Gibson for a while, but the quality issues I had to sort before it was where it needed to be... They are a very kind of hit and miss affair - depending on the year you could get a bargain or a bag of spanners. I had to do the basics (set up, intomation) but also a fret dress, new tuners, wiring... The Tokai arrived and needed new strings and the minimal amount of set up out the box and has been perfect ever since.

Yep. Agree with everything you said.

I tend to focus on the Tokais from the early 80s, but they seem to have been pretty consistent all the way through. Some anomalies in the mid 80s, but by the early 90s they were firing on all cylinders again.

Glad you like yours. Congratulations.

My first Tokai was a 1985 LS80 with a flamed sycamore top. It was in that weird reorganization period. But great sustain and it got me hooked.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back