MIC Tokai Upgrade/ Mod Thread

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyKlysmik

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if it'd be ok to have a thread for MIC owners to post and share DIY upgrades they have done to their guitars? Not sure if there are any of you out there... :eek:

Ok thanks! I'll give it a shot. I have a used Tokai ES60 (335 clone) which had a buzzing bridge. It seemed to be a pretty common problem at least on MIC tuneomatic style bridges. This would usually be one of the first parts folks would swoop out, either to a Gotoh or some other reliable brand.

While researching and shopping for the replacement bridge, you might want to try this simple DIY fix which I found on YouTube. Here's the link. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f1hmEY9rUns

Drew explains in the video what bridge buzz is, what causes it and how you can fix it at home using beeswax. I tried it and it worked pretty well for me. Now that I know what causes of the buzz, I can shop for bridges that more buzz resistant.

Once you're done, and the buzz is gone, you dont really need a new bridge. The buzz might come back since the vibrations might loosen the beeswax. Just heat the wax up, put in a little more wax and you're good. I'm guessing this could happen just once a year but it depends on your playing style.

I eventually got a new bridge cos I wanted to see if I could improve my tone or sustain. I don't need to but I just had to find out. Lol.

Oh and one other thing. I found an interesting article on kinking the retainer spring to stop the buzz. You could do this before getting beeswax into the saddle holes. I havent done this yet. Here's the link where Gerry Hayes describes the process in detail. http://guitarless.com/2010/06/buzz-kill-resolve-rattle-from-your-gibson-bridge/

Curing-Gibson-Bridge-Rattle-LG.jpg

That's all for now! Would love to hear more from other MIC owners!

Latest posts

Back