Looks like Gibson is intensifying his fight against copies - Tokai ban in the US ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harima_San

Reaction score
Today, I stumbled upon a disclaimer on the real standard page for his US customers.

I often get inquiries from the U.S. and Canada about my Tokai and Van Zandt guitars - thank you. After consulting with representatives from Tokai Instruments, they indicated that shipping their instruments to the U.S. or Canada would lead to confiscation by customs agents because of patent laws.

As a small businessman, sending out guitars and not having them show up at the customers door would be disastorous for all parties involved. I will however continue to sell to European countries, Australia, and many other countries (sorry, no U.S.A. & Canada).

This aligns perfectly with the "passive agressive" video that Gibson published last year to underline to their customer, that they WILL go against anything that isn't AUTHENTIC and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VgjLDX9F4o

Just wanted to know, how are you doing in the states ? Do you still can order Tokai's OR ARE YOU PLAYING AUTHENTIC !!! :wink: :D

Gibson didn't apply for a trademark on the Les Paul shape until 1987. After all that time and with so many reproductions on the market for decades it should never have been granted. Play authentic is a sham.

I would be shocked if customs went after Tokai branded guitars. I think they are focused on counterfeit guitars that say Gibson on the headstock. This seems like more of a gray area with Tokai. Curious to hear if there have actually been real problems importing Tokais because of this or if it’s just someone being fearful.

Back