Is this a real Japanese made Tokai Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anttonrj

Reaction score
Hello! Can somebody help me to identify this guitar? According to the serial number this should be Japanese, but I've heard some thing that don't match with this guitar. First of all, this has 11 screws in the pickguard, and I've heard Japanese ones have 8 screws. Serial number in 081693. I was wondering if the serial number could just been written in the guitar? Is this a fake Japanese made Tokai? I need help!

Here are some pictures of it: https://imgur.com/gallery/JrsSJkx

I am considering to buy this one, so would appreciate any help :) haven't tested it out yet though.

I doubt it’s fake. It has the modified headstock. Could be a Chinese or Korean Tokai? I believe they still make these? AST line.

The pick guard screws relate to the era it is mimicking. 8 screws are for 50s models with maple fretboard. This is 60s era essentially with a rosewood fretboard.

At least that is my understanding. 8)

I doubt it’s fake. It has the modified headstock. Could be a Chinese Tokai? I believe they still make these?

The pick guard screws relate to the era it is mimicking. 8 screws are for 50s models with maple fretboard. This is 60s era essentially with a rosewood fretboard.

Sigmania said:
I doubt it’s fake. It has the modified headstock. Could be a Chinese or Korean Tokai? I believe they still make these? AST line.

Okay. What do you mean with modified headstock? Can you tell if it's AST-33 or 52? How much should I pay for this one (with the Lundgren 50's formvar mics + the originals? Is 300 euros too much for them? Probably going to test this one out and see if I like it : )

Modified headstock means that it’s not the Fender shape.

Definitely play it. Value is personal.

The original list price was determined as a function of material and labor costs. Less expensive models were made in Korea and China generally. ST33s, etc.

It’s an entry level guitar and value is all related to playability. I doubt it has much value to collectors. So again, play it. If you like it great.

But don’t break the bank for this one. There should be others available around this price point. Check Reverb, eBay, etc for price comparison and other options.

If you can stretch a couple hundred euros you get into another price point, etc.

Good luck.

Who would go through the trouble of faking that guitar? That’s one of the cheapest guitars there is.

If they were going to fake something it would be a higher end guitar IMO.

And the dates in the link I sent are for older guitars. Yours is a fairly new Chinese build I would bet you. I sent that so you could see the change in the headstock.

It’s basically worth the asking price with the extra pickups in my opinion.

Sigmania said:
Who would go through the trouble of faking that guitar? That’s one of the cheapest guitars there is.

If they were going to fake something it would be a higher end guitar IMO.

And the dates in the link I sent are for older guitars. Yours is a fairly new Chinese build I would bet you. I sent that so you could see the change in the headstock.

It’s basically worth the asking price with the extra pickups in my opinion.

Ah, okay. Thank you.

I'm going to post the pictures here so people don't have to jump to another site to see it.

oiRR1DV.jpg

HmKn0Ti.jpg

wT69tzy.jpg

Kv15b5j.jpg

V0HAYVK.jpg

D0Peh0p.jpg

Latest posts

Back