What Years Did LCs Have The Split Diamond Headstock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
I had thought the split diamond headstock was only used on the earliest LCs and assumed it was a trademark issue and were forced to stop using it.

But… I’ve now seen a couple of LCs with the split diamond with 7 digit serial numbers beginning with 97 and 98.

Help. Lol.

Last edited:
I bought an LC70 on eBay thinking it was actually a 1979 LC100. Just got a message that he actually didn’t have the guitar and it sold some other way (gotta love the broker thing).

https://store.mpc-web.jp/whiteguitars/products/detail/15397

The serial number was 97xxxxx which I believe means it was made in 1997?

Were they actually making split diamond LCs in 1997/98 or is this an anomaly in the serial number scheme?

the whole 'broker' concept is a potential sticking point but so is purchasing direct; both always have some potential to leave a buyer without a guitar they are looking to purchase.

The linked listing states the guitar has an Ebony fingerboard which that claim is pure bovine excrement. :lol:

Also, sending you a PM.

Here is the one I bought on eBay that apparently was sold by a broker who didn't actually own the guitar and someone else got it. Maybe it will show up here?

PcQ7XTs.jpg

And the serial number beginning in 97xxxxx. Which would make it a 1997 guitar based on how we are using the serial numbers.

Note: The tuners were replaced. It evidently had tuners before these that had two mounting screws.

fkaokgU.jpg

Back