Need help with a Love Rock with no serial number

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cameronandcolour

Reaction score
I'm working on a trade; my J Mascis Jazzmaster for this project Love Rock. I knew nothing about Tokai when I stumbled upon this guy. It's pretty, has a ding I don't care much about.. but it's of course missing the serial number. I'm trying to identify the country of origin primarily, but if I can get an idea of a date range, that would be great. However, lacking the components and serial number, I will take what I can get. Either way, I think it will be a fun project, especially at a lower risk level. ~$400 trade range, and he is including most of the components that he's rounded up for it. Any info you can provide on this guy would be much appreciated!
SNd5cgc

QX2m9VZ

ScWLbY7

gd0BhVP

K0ymBsb

XFB9pN9

yqVKyRN

Tq3Jg5k

BgxL3Ch

PMKRNvk

h16DbZ6

0qcTF7Z

Pmnyr55

BCVtXbJ

QX2m9VZ

tcCP1Ts

M5zJ551

gyjT0sQ

tMG3py3

If you right click and choose "Open image in new tab" they should pull up. I don't typically turn to forums, so it's a bit archaic for my knowledge lol

Missing the serial number? Hmmm.

Three screw truss rod cover I believe is Chinese or Korean build.

There are some without serial numbers.

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25827

I personally wouldn't give you $100 for it. It has been totally stripped of parts, and there is damage to the top that you would have to blend. Even then if it were entirely in tact you still have a Korean Tokai (?) with a multi piece body worth way less than $1,000.

I am guessing there is a reason they stripped it besides the blemish on the top.

If you have all of the parts already and enjoy refinishing guitars it might be worth it, otherwise pass... 8)

The truss rod cover is not neat at all, misaligned screws etc. The genuine Korean ones were neat and well made. Cavities look unlike Tokai too. Wide berth time!

The guy is sending with the parts and pickups and whatnot as well, and I plan to put a pickguard on, which would cover that pickguard screw nick.

Could be an early MIK model but with so much missing it's hard to be sure.

If your trade is to the financial value of $400 you are being ripped off. Given the condition and the fact that he's sending "most" of the missing parts (your words) he should be giving you the guitar plus $300 cash.

cameronandcolour said:
The guy is sending with the parts and pickups and whatnot as well, and I plan to put a pickguard on, which would cover that pickguard screw nick.

Any idea why he stripped it of parts then?

Also, something funky is happening with the finish on the back around the control compartment. What is happening there?

Latest posts

Back