Fretboard Woods

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping to hear what people think about the different woods used on Tokai fretboards?

My understanding is that they used and still use Brazilian rosewood, Indian rosewood, and ebony (from I assume Africa?).

Wondering which models have which and/or during what periods?

Like other tropical woods, I assume that scarcity is at play here and once available woods like Brazilian have become more and more of a premium that other species are being looked at as economic replacements?

Also, I know people call different things "rosewood". It gets confusing fast if you don't know the wood species.

"Rosewoods" can be really hard to tell apart I think.

For me, as a general rule, Brazilian seems more red and can be highly figured, whereas Indian seems more brown or chocolate colored, and more regularly patterned.

But there are also choice pieces of Indian rosewood that look like Brazilian. It's confusing.

Then trying to tell them apart on a narrow piece of wood like a fret board gets really hard sometimes (not to mention why it would matter?)

Would love to hear what others think.

Brazilian rosewood.

HSSRPQ9.jpg

Indian rosewood.

6siGAtj.jpg

With age and accumulated dirts and oils, all the none Brazilian darken up to look like Brazilian.

Yep. Which begs the larger question, why does it matter?

For us here it can help figure out a model if the fret board wood is spec'd.

But does it matter as far as playability or tone?

Ebony is very different of course, and I feel a difference there. Low resistance.

Also on Fender type guitars, lacquered or poly over maple versus rosewood is a huge difference, but Indian versus Brazilian on a fret board... I dunno. 8)

Back