Tokai Factories in Hamamatsu, Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoping to capture photos and info on the Tokai factories in Hamatsu, Japan.

Hamamatsu, "City of music".

"Indeed, more than 90% of Western-style musical instruments produced in Japan are manufactured in Hamamatsu."

Hamamatsu: City of music

(Wikipedia image)
Hamamatsu_from_above.jpg

Last edited:
I found this page from 2013.

Tokai Gakki Factory Visit

2VsOwGD.jpg

tciwDAE.jpg

KX9Lt8k.jpg

BHf2uMI.jpg

WzISikE.jpg

aL2vlBJ.jpg

Last edited:
8) when tokai was so popular and busy in the 80s, they had 3~4 factories of their own plus they were getting a help from other small companies i heard. but times have changed and now they have only 1 factory. they had 2 until the recently but its closed down. today, tokai is about 50 people or so, a small company but their quality is always than their quantity like their motto says. tokai once died in 1985 and they had been a small business since but their repulation and products are back very strong lately both in japan and international. the tokai legend lives on!

Thanks Hamamatsu!

Can you say more about the period in 1985 when they “died”? I have heard about how during that period that the guitars changed, but not sure why or how exactly. I noticed that on this forum that Ned divides the models by that date, before 1985 are "vintage". Would love to hear anything you could share.

Also, can you say something about the 1980 period when the “inkies” were made? I had read that they were possibly made in Nagano?

Thank you! 🙏

Tokai had two places back in 2002 when I had the honour to visit them, both in Hamamatsu about 15 minutes far away by car.

8)
However, some of the models have been suspended from sales by GIBSON.
Some of the only model is still subject to sales injunction from GIBSON, Inc.
Moreover, in 1982, "Fender japan" was established by Fujigen + Kanda + Yamano.
Moreover, the establishment "Fender japan" in 1982 by the FujiGen + Kanda + Yamano
Furthermore, in 1983, they developed the famous "Talbo", an original model, but sank.
In addition sunk also to develop that famous "Talbo" of the 1983 original model.
1984 to catch up
1984 to add insult to injury
Tokai Gakki, which was sued by Fender, lost the case due to a long-standing settlement.
It was sued in the Fender company Tokai musical instrument is defeated by the many years of settlement.
It was forced to stop selling.
Therefore, dared to go bankrupt due to poor management.
Therefore, we are once bankruptcy by the tragically poor management.
After that, in 1986, the name was changed to "Tokai Musical Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd." and a new company was established.
Established a new company changed since 1986 as "Tokai Musical Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd.," the name.

8) in the 80s,when tokai was so popular and their factories were so busy, tokai often asked the other companies to make the tokai guitars for them. those non-tokai made tokai guitar products often have the inconsistent specs, minor details of the other companies. you are talking about these minor spec issues?

HAMAMATSU said:
8) in the 80s,when tokai was so popular and their factories were so busy, tokai often asked the other companies to make the tokai guitars for them. those non-tokai made tokai guitar products often have the inconsistent specs, minor details of the other companies. you are talking about these minor spec issues?

Yes, I was asking about the Love Rocks known as "inkies" that have an inked serial number and not the embossed serial number.

I had read that they were produced in Nagano?

HAMAMATSU said:
8)
Moreover, in 1982, "Fender japan" was established by Fujigen + Kanda + Yamano.
Moreover, the establishment "Fender japan" in 1982 by the FujiGen + Kanda + Yamano
Furthermore, in 1983, they developed the famous "Talbo", an original model, but sank.
In addition sunk also to develop that famous "Talbo" of the 1983 original model.
1984 to catch up
1984 to add insult to injury
Tokai Gakki, which was sued by Fender, lost the case due to a long-standing settlement.
It was sued in the Fender company Tokai musical instrument is defeated by the many years of settlement.
It was forced to stop selling.
Therefore, dared to go bankrupt due to poor management.
Therefore, we are once bankruptcy by the tragically poor management.
After that, in 1986, the name was changed to "Tokai Musical Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd." and a new company was established.
Established a new company changed since 1986 as "Tokai Musical Instrument Manufacturing Co., Ltd.," the name.

So:

Gibson injunction+Fender Japan w/out Tokai+Talbo failure+Fender sues & wins+poor mgt= Bankruptcy

Thank you!

This is so interesting knowing that after Fender sued Tokai and won and helped force them into bankruptcy, that 12 years later (1997) Fender contracted with Tokai to make Fenders in Japan....

And that helps me to understand this letter from 1982 to Leo Fender...

Tokai was apparently in negotiations with Fender in 1980 and that fell apart when Tokai wanted access to the American market and obviously Fender said no, "possibly because our products oversell their 'CBS's Fenders'"... 8)

So negotiations with Fender beginning in 1980 fail, this letter is sent to Leo Fender in 1982, sued by Fender in 1984 and lose to them, contract with Fender in 1997"

And this letter to Leo Fender in 1982 is maybe an attempt to salvage the negotiations with Fender? Or perhaps some sort of end around to the man who may have retained some rights to his designs? I wonder if they were looking to partner with him as negotiations had broken down with Fender?

Fascinating stuff.

WoAFoJU.jpg

HAMAMATSU said:

Do you mean the use of the name Les Paul in the model name? "Les Paul Reborn"?

So there was an actual legal injunction from Gibson? Is there a record of this?

luis said:
Tokai had two places back in 2002 when I had the honour to visit them, both in Hamamatsu about 15 minutes far away by car.

So they were making Fender guitars at that time then. Were Fenders made alongside Toaki branded guitars or did they have a separate facility?

8) those inkie models were mostly LS50/60 from 1980/1981 at the nagano factory. the nagano factory wasnt tokai and its the OEM production at some other factories which i dont know which.

Thanks. Were all of the Tokai factories in Japan in Hamamatsu?

Thanks!

As far as the bankruptcy and reorganization goes, do you think the company changed afterwards?

Latest posts

Back