What did I just buy? Tokai LS-320 2002?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ochanomizu

Reaction score
Something about this guitar kept calling out me so I ended up buying it. What do you guys think this is? Thoughts on it?
I actually have an LS196 plain top already and love it, but had been looking for a LS-320 for a while.

It was listed as a Tokai LS-320 with the specs:
They think it's a 2003 (Serial starts with 0203... so I think it's a 2002)
Jacaranda fretboard, Honduran body, Long tenon
Pickups have been changed.
Apparently the bridge has been changed to a Faber locking tail and titanium saddles.

y7r0kpw5q00aixwceifv.jpg

k1rlcqt7vqghgkjm93qv.jpg

awagwlfcvwwbdmyabkbt.jpg

eb1aibcd2gs9dxpcdrv8.jpg

I'm all about the thick necks and have sold many that were too thin. I'll hope for the best.

The switch tip is non original, it should be orange. Easy enough to find a replacement. I've got a 200 from the same era which has one of the fattest necks I've seen on a Tokai so you might be in luck!

Ochanomizu said:
I'm all about the thick necks and have sold many that were too thin. I'll hope for the best.

I have an early 2000s LS-320, and it has a thin, 60s slim taper neck :( but oh well, it's still a 320 :D

Good luck :wink:

Paladin2019 said:
The switch tip is non original, it should be orange. Easy enough to find a replacement. I've got a 200 from the same era which has one of the fattest necks I've seen on a Tokai so you might be in luck!

I'm hoping this switch tip will be the correct fit since it's metric. I'll wait to order until I get the guitar since the original might be in the case.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-And-Epiphone-Toggle-Switch-Tip-Amber-Metric-Switch-Knob/264989703475

HAMAMATSU said:
8) tokai says they dont go higher than the 4A grade maple-top usually if not the veneers. your 320 is very cool!

Fingers crossed, I sure hope it's not veneer and I hope it's a legit 320. I'll pull the pickups to check as soon as I get it.

guitar hiro said:
Ochanomizu said:
I have an early 2000s LS-320, and it has a thin, 60s slim taper neck :( but oh well, it's still a 320 :D
Good luck :wink:

I like thick necks but you never know until it's in your hands if it's for you or not. Sometimes something different than what you normally look for can surprise you. fingers crossed.

The fretboard seems very jacarandesque, and this level of difference in the tone top excludes veneer. It's for sure a solid top.
You can also see the typical small details in the inserts, that are not inserted by a machine but putted in by hand.
It's very probably a legit one.

Beautiful. Curious to know if it’s a solid top and one piece back? Finish? Also, how these sound relative to Love Rocks from around 1980? Congratulations.

These had solid tops, 1 piece Honduras mahogany backs, Brazilian rosewood fretboards, nitrocellulose lacquer, Seymour Duncan pickups, US-made electronics, aluminium tailpieces, fret edge binding, and long neck tenons. I don't know how that compares to high end specs from the early 80s but it was one hell of a flagship guitar.

Nice. Sounds like good specs. I was curious about how they sound? I have had guitars built with amazing materials, beautiful to look at, that still came up short. Then were subsequently sold. :D

Just was curious.

I've never owned one and I don't think we have any regulars at the moment who do, but I have a 200 from that era and it's the best guitar I've ever played, my #1 for 20 years.

Good to know. I think I have a belief that older wood is better tone wise. Old growth trees etc. And my experience has been that all the guitars I’ve bought newer than mid 80s I end up dissatisfied with and sell. So this is good to hear. Will keep my eyes open than.

Btw, what does the headstock look like on these? When did they use the dimple? Also, when did they start using that modern three sided TRC?

Thanks!

The Japanese-made models all had Gibson style open book headstocks up until the mid 00's I think. The stuff made for the domestic Japanese market still does but they refuse to sell those overseas because of trademark issues. I think the half ellipse TRC was mid 90s. It seems to be 'hit and miss' whether a Gibson bell TRC will fit without modification.

Sigmania said:
Nice. Sounds like good specs. I was curious about how they sound? I have had guitars built with amazing materials, beautiful to look at, that still came up short. Then were subsequently sold. :D

Just was curious.

I have tried a LS360 (360 followed the 320 a few years later) in Ochanomizu.

But even if I have tried one, I can't be categoric because you and me, we both know that every LesPaul has a little bit a different edge to it. Some have more weight, some have more light, some sing better.... it depends of a lot of factor we can't control as buyers. This is the reason why I got to Japan in the first place "taking home my bestie".

Honestly, in those time, if I had the money, I would have ridden home with the 360. But I had to refrain myself for monetary reasons.

My impression of the Honduras Mahogany, is that the guitar comes fairly matured (maybe older woods), the sound had a gentleness to the touch, with all the light and some sweetness on the top. It reminds a lot of Nik Huber or Bavarian Tunning LesPauls. In short -> Those are excellent LesPaul that a skilled guitarist will be able to handle in every direction he wants. Generally, all the LP's from Tokai will mature in your hands. The Honduras mahogany ones start with great performance and will become slightly better ; the african mahogany ones are starting very well, and will dramatically improve in their behavior over time.

Great insights. And I am not familiar with African mahogany. What period was that wood used, and on which grade guitars? I would assume it was used more recently as the forests of Central America have given up most of their bigger trees, and production likely shifted to other parts of the world.

And totally agree re: differences in individual guitars whether it is the wood, the fit, grain patterns, age, etc. It is mysterious for me to be sure.

But I know that you can't simply throw a laundry list of expensive materials into a guitar and assume the end product will sound better.

With older guitars, part of it (beyond older trees being available in the past) seems to be a process of aging that I believe includes how often it is played and how. I'm probably weird, but I would not doubt that the wood reacts to resonating notes and the molecular structure of the wood responds to the sound going through it. No idea, and obviously am speculating, but something seems to happen. Some guitars sustain and sing while others kill off a note fairly quickly to my ear.

There's also the perception that people hang onto the best sounding guitars and pass along the ones that don't quite cut it, but I have bought some amazing vintage guitars. Lots of reasons for people to let guitars go, and many that get set free are incredible pieces.

I'm envious that you can visit Japan. I am in the states and have not traveled there. In spite of restrictions some great Tokais have made their way here to the U.S.

Thanks for sharing your experience Harima_San. It's appreciated.

Back