Tokai J160E

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog77

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering buying a J160E (the gibson electric/acoustic that was regularly used by john lennon) and am curious if anyone has any information or knows of any reviews regarding this guitar. I'm particularly interested in finding out something about the pickup and electronics.

Thanks

maybe I should be more specific as I reread my post. I am interested in finding out anything, opinions, or if anyone knows of a review of the Tokai J160E, the replica of the Gibson J160E, the acoustic/electric.

Thanks

Might be some of the current crop of Korean imports. I'm sure there are Japanese acoustic guitars being made, but the bulk of the Tokais reaching North America look to be Korean manufactured. (Mike's has a Gretch copy that might be cause for divorce...) :roll:

yes, Korean made. The phrasing of that last email makes me suspect relatively poor quality from Korea. Correct?

thanks

On the contrary. You will find the build quality on the Korean Toks to be quite good. My guess is the reason for divorce is more likely based upon "WHAT? Another Tokai??" :roll:

CM

My personal stash is about half and half Japanese and Korean. I prefer the Japanese manufacturing, but the Korean IS ALSO unbelievable for the money. It doesn't seem to be too different with Tokai, Alvarez, Yamaha, Takamine, Fender, Gibson, etc, etc, etc,... They all have high end stuff, made in Japan, middle line from Korea, and cheaper models from China or Vietnam or where ever they are doing it. I have some dealer and luthier friends that spend hours with me trying to figure out who is actually producing what, and where it's being made. Kind of a cool thing to think about, but it all really doesn't matter much if the instrument is good quality. (And you can afford to get it....heh...) Being on the razor's edge with the better half doesn't help much either, with 6 or 8 guitars already around the house... (not to mention fishing gear, motorcycles, etc,...)
:roll:

I had a chance to play the Tokai & Epi j-160E's aling with a real Gibson J-160-E. Neither the Tokai or the Epi versions came close in sound when plugged in. But, the Tokai had a better unplugged sound than the epi and it was much closer in finish & looks compared to the Epi. The body shape is more correct on the Epi and the headstock shape is more correct on the Tokai. I ended up buying the Tokai that day and it is my favorite guitar at this time. I eneded up puttin Pyramid Gold .11 electric strings on it and it plays like BUTTA!
The only thing I did not like was the Tokai's tuners...one of them has a vibration when strumming and I have heard that from another owner as well.
All in all......that Tokai j-160 copy impressed me so much that I bought a Tokai Ricky copy and it is a great Lennon Copy as well. I think as good as the real thing.

I was so impressed with Tokai quality & affordability that I became a dealer.

~Hey Guy's

I was wondering what is the Nut width on one of these ... ?

also sting spacing at saddle ?

Very Interested I love Tokai an Especially Japanese made ones are amazing I am looking for something with a wider nut an better string spacing than the usual Jap 43mm guitars etc...

Thanks an all advice and help is greatly appreciated,

JayMc

Back