Getting a Tokai LS with long tenon

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blunty

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thinking of getting another Tokai LS but with a long tenon. Which model should be the one? Thanks 8)

blunty said:
Wah... Sorry Rich, thats too much for a student. Need something affordable, thanks. :wink:

I'd be more concerned about the other appointments of the guitar (pickups, hardware, etc) than just the tenon

Anyway, just looking for abit more sustain. Can upgrade the hardware later i hope. Thanks for the advise.

blunty said:
Anyway, just looking for abit more sustain. Can upgrade the hardware later i hope. Thanks for the advise.

Find a relatively good, inexpensive guitar - like an LS95 and upgrade the hardware to the Faber products offered by forum member togps and you'll have a monster player - sustain for days using an aluminum tailpiece with locking studs, bridge with brass saddles.

Agree Marcus, the tenon length is mostly cosmetic, a good neck join is a good neck join, and the fact a long tenon will give you more sustain is a myth.

blunty said:
Long tenon is just for cosmetic, when we don't see it unless the guitar is taken apart?

Have a look at the Les Paul forum, or even this one. Everyone pulls outtheir neck pickup to photograph their tenon! I'm guilty too :wink:

IMO it's up there with bumble-bee repro caps and cloth wire! makes no difference but we all love it :D

JohnA said:
blunty said:
Long tenon is just for cosmetic, when we don't see it unless the guitar is taken apart?

Have a look at the Les Paul forum, or even this one. Everyone pulls outtheir neck pickup to photograph their tenon! I'm guilty too :wink:

IMO it's up there with bumble-bee repro caps and cloth wire! makes no difference but we all love it :D

OIC

Guity here too:) Thats why I'm looking for an affordable Tokai with long tenon to compete with the E-LP85CD on sustain... did an A/B with the LS125SEB out of bordom, can't believe it lose out :evil:

blunty said:
And long tenon doesn't help in making the guitar a better join?

Not necessarily. Modern manufacturing techniques mean that quality is more important than the type of joint used.

If you want sustain then Faber hardware will be a big help, as will heavier strings and a good setup. People are far too eager to change everything about their guitar when a few simple tweaks will do the job.

Paladin2019 said:
blunty said:
And long tenon doesn't help in making the guitar a better join?

Not necessarily. Modern manufacturing techniques mean that quality is more important than the type of joint used.

If you want sustain then Faber hardware will be a big help, as will heavier strings and a good setup. People are far too eager to change everything about their guitar when a few simple tweaks will do the job.

Not sure what you mean by modern manufacturing techniques, but have taken photos of the join on both E-LP85CD and LS125SEB. They looks different... one looks modern and the other, traditional... will post picture later.

But don't get the wrong idea, the LS125SEB do sounds sweet and the clarity is **** good!

So, inorder to increase the sustains on the LS125SEB, need to change the aluminum tail to Faber hardware? Thanks for the advice :p

blunty said:
Not sure what you mean by modern manufacturing techniques, but have taken photos of the join on both E-LP85CD and LS125SEB. They looks different... one looks modern and the other, traditional... will post picture later.

In the old days the formula was that bolt-on necks had less sustain and set necks had more sustain. This was because bolt-on necks were cheap to make, so were fitted to cheap guitars but set necks were hard to do so were put on expensive guitars which were built better.

Nowadays you can find all types of joints at all the different price points. The key factor is how well the neck and body fit together, not the type of joint used for that purpose. I'd rather have a bolt-on neck joint made by, say, Tyler than a set neck made by Gibson.

blunty said:
So, inorder to increase the sustains on the LS125SEB, need to change the aluminum tail to Faber hardware? Thanks for the advice :p

IIRC faber hardware has an aluminium tailpiece as part of the kit. The important parts are the locking mechanisms which provide superior contact and vibration transfer from strings to body.

With respect...

If you want sustain, learn how to improve your vibrato...if you think sustain comes from long tenons then you're bored. ;)

No long tenon, no aluminium tail piece or brass saddles, no tubes, no CTS pots or bumblebees, just a stock LS95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw2_AZ9lb6U

Diamond said:
With respect...

If you want sustain, learn how to improve your vibrato...if you think sustain comes from long tenons then you're bored. ;)

No long tenon, no aluminium tail piece or brass saddles, no tubes, no CTS pots or bumblebees, just a stock LS95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw2_AZ9lb6U

After watching the video, guess I'm bored to compare sustain on the LPs :D

Can't afford Tokai with long tenon anyway... back to making sweet music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAWW6JjUJWE sweet sustain 8)

Nice playing...one problem...this is the Tokai forum, not the Edwards forum. :)

Diamond said:
With respect...

+1..... vibrato is the signature of your playing.

Heavier strings also helps sustain.

Diamond said:
Nice playing...one problem...this is the Tokai forum, not the Edwards forum. :)

I know, thats why here looking for Tokai with long tenon :eek:

Guess Tokai's LS long or short tenon doesn't make any different :eek:

Thanks for the concern :wink:

Latest posts

Back