LS 150

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudbone

Reaction score
Hi Folks, I'm a newcomer to this forum. I've got a chance to buy an LS150 for ?600 - do you think this is a good price ?

I've played it and it feels wonderful, much better than any Gibson LP I've ever played. However, I'm not too taken with the Gotoh pickups. They have a lovely low end but the top end sounds a bit harsh to me.

What do you think of these pickups ?

Is there anyone that didn't care for them and changed them ?

If so, what did you change them for ?

Thanks everyone.

mudbone said:
It's a 2005 model. Were they good in your opinion ?

Absolutely good then and now.... very good price at under $1000 USD. Does it come with a case?

Make SURE it is an LS150 before you pull the trigger. Got any pics you can post?

Make sure it's an LS150, considering there was no LS150 in 2005.

A friend of mine changed the pickups, he put in a Duncan Pearly Gates in the bridge and a Duncan 59 in the neck....one problem, he cant hear any difference between the Duncans and the stock MK2's.

Diamond said:
Make sure it's an LS150, considering there was no LS150 in 2005.

Really?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/29712-fs-2005-mij-tokai-ls-150-love-rock-flametop.html

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/10658-fs-tokai-ls-150-massive-flame.html

My mistake, my usual model number confusion. :roll:

Is this guitar in question a Flametop or a Plaintop?

marcusnieman said:
Diamond said:

Think it's a flametop....

Do you agree the buyer needs to make sure it's not an LS135F that the seller is selling as an LS150F...the price seems too good?

Diamond said:
marcusnieman said:
Diamond said:

Think it's a flametop....

Do you agree the buyer needs to make sure it's not an LS135F that the seller is selling as an LS150F...the price seems too good?

My thoughts exactly..... I PM'd him about that.

If you like how it plays and it sounds good unplugged then go for it...it's a bargain.

Btw - I have a 2005 flame top and not all amplifiers like it. But find the right combo and it sounds immense.

Regarding the pickups give the bareknuckles a go, the mules for true old LP experience or black dogs if you like your rock.

Everyone - thanks for your help, this is a nice forum.

More questions -

What can you tell me about the LS135 ?

Were they good guitars in their own right ?

They're not listed on the Tokai UK website.

What sort of price difference is there between the two models ?

mudbone said:
Everyone - thanks for your help, this is a nice forum.

More questions -

What can you tell me about the LS135 ?

Were they good guitars in their own right ?

They're not listed on the Tokai UK website.

What sort of price difference is there between the two models ?

LS135F specs: http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=26

LS150 specs: http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produktdetail.php?id=42

Price difference is about $175 - $200 and the LS135 is a very good guitar. Think the main difference is it's two piece back.

Thanks for your help folks. I went back to the shop today and looked at the guitar again. Definitely a two piece back. I spoke to the shop's 'expert' and told him that the specs for a 150 included a one piece back and that I had been advised that if it had a two piece back it was definitely not a 150.

His reaction was to say 'Oh'.

I asked what made him think it was a 150 and he said that the guy they got it from said it was.

I was tempted to ask that if I brought in a guitar and TOLD them it was a 59 LP would they give me a hundred grand for it but I thought what's the point ?

mudbone said:
Thanks for your help folks. I went back to the shop today and looked at the guitar again. Definitely a two piece back. I spoke to the shop's 'expert' and told him that the specs for a 150 included a one piece back and that I had been advised that if it had a two piece back it was definitely not a 150.

I asked what made him think it was a 150 and he said that the guy they got it from said it was.

I was tempted to ask that if I brought in a guitar and TOLD them it was a 59 LP would they give me a hundred grand for it but I thought what's the point ?

Well done.... But, do we know for sure it's an LS135? Look on the specs for the things to chec for - alum tailpece, lacquer, upgraded caps I believe. Bottom line, the seller doesn't know what it is.

mudbone said:

For 600? LS135 is still a bargain.

Matti

mudbone said:

The above post just serves to underline the almost complete lack of knowledge re. the Tokai model range in most guitar/music shops (even some that carry the brand and should know better). Buyer beware!!

At the that price it sounds like a bargain to me though, whatever.

Best Of British!!

Best regards,
Darren

mattim said:
mudbone said:

For 600? LS135 is still a bargain.

Matti

It's a very good price for an LS135, but a 135 has a one piece body, and the one in question has a two piece, so it must be a LS90.

Here's the really funny part, 600? is a good price for an LS90. :)

Diamond said:
It's a very good price for an LS135, but a 135 has a one piece body, and the one in question has a two piece, so it must be a LS90.

Here's the really funny part, 600? is a good price for an LS90. :)

Not so sure about the one piece back on the LS135. Here are a couple back shots from different 135's on Kurosawa's website. They look center seamed to me:

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/img/itemimages/0593/L/img3_59355.jpg

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/img/itemimages/0432/L/img2_43261.jpg

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/img/itemimages/0381/L/img4_38155.jpg

Latest posts

Back