modern tokai mij poly finish

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex gold guns

Reaction score
hi guys ... anyone think that the poly finish on the modern ls80's have thick or thin poly finishes?
I've heard you can get a vintage effect and feel by sanding back the poly by using varying degrees of sandpaper and then a finishing oil?
someone has already done this, i'll try to find the link.

whadda you think, worth trying on my goldtop??

alexg said:
hi guys ... anyone think that the poly finish on the modern ls80's have thick or thin poly finishes?
I've heard you can get a vintage effect and feel by sanding back the poly by using varying degrees of sandpaper and then a finishing oil?
someone has already done this, i'll try to find the link.

whadda you think, worth trying on my goldtop??

I wouldn't rush into anything on a set neck guitar till you're 100% sure! I have a Fender Mexico 60s Strat neck that I had someone remove the finish from. I thought it might feel better without the poly lacquer, but it doesn't seem to have achieved what I wanted.

Has anyone else tried this?

Mike

It's pretty thin. Definately not as thick as many of the cheaper brands.

Don't try to do this "vintage" thing yourself. For one thing, you should be using grade 000 wire wool, not sandpaper. For another, it's irreversible and you clearly aren't familiar with what you should be doing. Finally, what are you hoping to achieve? What do you think a "vintage effect" involves?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's too much of a risk and will destroy your guitar's resale value.

You've reminded me actually, I had a dream a few nights back that I tried to do something similar to my precious love rock using a hand plane. It quickly became a nightmare!

EDIT: one more thing, mahogany necks don't like it when they have their finish completely taken off. 70's gibsons could take it because they had maple necks, but your goldtop could suffer serious problems.

thanks guys..I' m not going to bother, just thought it might work but sounds like i'm gonna get into a right pickle.
I actually found a good link about finishes on "my les paul forum" saying that its a myth that poly restricts vibration and tone as it actually allows the wood to expand - thus resulting in less checking than nitro. Its actually the nitro that doesn't expand and therefore cracking over time creating the vintage look.

Yes be careful, especially with oil. I read an interview with bob Bennedetto who says oil and guitars do not mix - any seepage is irreversible and it dulls the sound.
I've gigged a nitro finished Warmoth Tele for the last 5 years or so and it is some way along the 'Vintage' path already, buckle rash, edge wear, finish is going flat in places, dents and dings all over it. drenched in orange juice (?! I need some gigs that are a bit more Rock 'n Roll) It is starting to have that vintage 'thing'. Let it happen naturally would be my advice.

kevcaster said:
I've gigged a nitro finished Warmoth Tele for the last 5 years or so and it is some way along the 'Vintage' path already, buckle rash, edge wear, finish is going flat in places, dents and dings all over it. drenched in orange juice (?! I need some gigs that are a bit more Rock 'n Roll) It is starting to have that vintage 'thing'. Let it happen naturally would be my advice.

The problem is that your Tele is nitro finished, so it will naturally age like that - a poly finished guitar won't. My 1980s Tokais have, without exception, aged very well - the finish is hard wearing & durable. But if you want that "worn" or "relic" feel & look, it has to be nitro. It may or may not affect the tone, but it sure as hell affects the feel & the look.

Back