Replacing pots and caps

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyster

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to change the pots in my LS90Q. I had a wee accident while changing the pickups, but was thinking about changing them anyway.
I've had a quick search through the forum, but can't seem to find an easy answer.

I want good quality pots that will fit without drilling or filling. I have seen that some don't fit.

Sorry if this has been asked before and I'm just rubbish at searching.

Also, a UK supplier would be very helpful as well.

Thanks in anticipation of answers.

I use Alpha pots in all my Japanese guitars, CTS pots require the holes enlarging so aren't ideal. The Alphas are great quality too:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPHA-GUITAR-POTENTIOMETER-250K-OR-500K-15mm-SHAFT_W0QQitemZ200257841080QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200257841080&_trkparms=72%3A1298%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Hi Jyster,

h_ttp://www.singlecoil.com

here you can find, what you're looking for. Don't forget to change the cables too.

This was the big thread on pots and caps:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9184

but I don't think it answered your specific question.

Mike

Thanks for that info.

Can you recommend best caps to use and wire grade/type and supplier?

I read that thread stratman. I got a tad confused, so thought I'd ask a more specific question. :)

Yeah, typical Tokai forum thread - it went off on all kinds of strange tangents. :lol:

Not sure about the wire... I think when I rewired my Fender the gauge had a number 22 in it somewhere. Very helpful I know :lol:

Caps - I know this will open a big can of worms but they don't make that much difference. Remember, the tone caps are there to bleed off the signal to ground so you never actually hear what's passing through them. As long as you get yourself something of decent quality (don't bother with anything more expensive than Orange Drops), you'll be fine. EDIT: actually, that last sentence applies to the wire too.

When you buy your pots remember that you want them all to be audio (log) taper. The standard is to have audio for the volume and linear for the tones, but whoever came up with this must have been on LSD. Having audio taper on the tone controls makes them much more useful and responsive; I never once used mine before I made the switch to audio.

I agree with Paladin2019's comments about using audio taper pots for the tone controls, and about caps and wire, cloth covered or braided looks nice(but it's on the inside) but doesn't make any difference to the sound! Caps, there are people who claim bumblebees sound better than orange drops, I'm not one of them :D

Yes the ebay link does suggest a 'B' or Linear taper for volume, it is DEFINETELY wrong, get type A's all round (my preference), or A's for vol and B for tone (common practice).

So,
Type A 500K for volume and tone, gives incremental changes, not the usual on/off effect at 3. I'll go for that.

Alpha make, as they're the right size for Tokai.

Capacitor: it doesn't matter as long as it's a decent make. Orange drops or bumblebees.

Wire: doesn't matter much, get something similar to what's in there already.

Think that's me sorted. Thanks for all your help. :D

With caps, you should find that a smaller cap (say .022) will be more useful than a larger cap (say .047). I know a LP is different to a Strat, but I find that using a .022 cap means that turning down the tone control only bleeds off the higher frequencies, whilst using a .047 means that some of the mids are bled off as well, which leads to a volume drop.

It isn't a big difference, but since caps are so cheap it might be worth trying different sizes while you're doing all the rewiring work.

http://www.kevinyates.com/ES_335_re-wire/index.html
Includes links to Mojo Guitar Works and the Epi wiring diagram

Hi I recently replaced pickups (Tonerider Alnico 1V) on an ES 130 and decided to go the whole hog and replace pots etc. I had some trouble getting consistent info and have posted a step by step guide on the link above.

My Tokai had Alpha pots which I think are nearly as good as CTS but I decided to do everything - this means drilling out the guitar top to accept the imperial 3/8" shaft diameters on the CTS units - I used a metric 10mm step drill. This works fine and leaves a perfect hole - better than a simple twist drill. I made a template from corrugated cardboard to hold evrything in place while soldering.

One thing I overlooked - the Gibson angled toggle switch that I bought did not fit through the thickness of the top. I understand there are two types, one with a longer shaft. I had already assembled the whole thing before I discovered this so - it all had to come out again and new wires soldered as the others were now not long enough!!!!! Bit of a frustration really.
All fine now and I await Gibson knobs to complete the whole job.

Some surprising insights into the Tokai assembly ethos - The ES 130 is faultless in construction but the wiring was a bit slipshod - one of the pickup leads was wire to wire soldered as if they had put a tag on and then hooked up the lead - soldering was about as good as mine = not very.

One final observation - Tokais have the rout from the bridge pickup cavity into the bottom chamber like Gibsons. This make pickup replacement pretty easy as you can access the whole harness etc. through the pickup cavity.

:cry:
I received the pots from ebay today(link above) and desoldered, only to discover that the new ones are too short. No thread shows through, so I'll need to find some that fit. I've contacted the ebay seller and hopefully he'll do the correct sized pots.
I assume these pots are for strat-like guitars with just the width of the scratch-plate to go through. You live and learn.

I assume I should have bought the 20mm shaft pots, yes?

Sorry my fault :oops:

The 20mm ones he has are mini size pots, you don't want those! The Alpha ones I use are 18mm shafts.

Hi
The Alpha pots I removed have 10mm shafts! Remember this came off an ES 130 not a Les Paul type which may require longer shafts to get through the maple top. The ES laminated top is only 3.5/4mm thick. I am guessing you have a Love Rock or similar?

Back