"Tokai Custom Edition" Guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigmania

Staff member
Reaction score
Starting this thread to try to sort out and log different examples of the "Tokai Custom Edition" guitars.

Looks like this logo was used beginning in late 1985 and continued until 2010 at least.

I have never been clear on which models were called this and why?

They seem to be a mixture of traditional and new cutting edge designs, active and passive pickups, expensive carbon guitars and inexpensive models.

Models are named based on price often with an added digit.

So an SD703 is 70,000 yen, but with a different pickup configuration than a 701 or 702.

All seem to be bolt neck guitars.

Note that I created an additional thread for the "Lady Killer" models:

Custom Edition 1986 1987 "Lady Killer" Mirror Guard Super Edition SD 65/70/80

The AST481

AST481 Gallery

The AST483

AST483 Gallery

And a very rare model that may have been a special order or limited run AST

1990s Custom Edition Flametop Non Catalog Mystery Guitars

crz7MX6.jpg

Last edited:
SN 221711

sGzrltJ.jpg

d0gpYLN.jpg

oVVWJoz.jpg

AMDLvJc.jpg

CJo9bV6.jpg

SzYshfc.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275129791024

1990's Tokai Custom Edition Super Stratocaster
SN: 221711
Weight: 8lbs 12.9 oz's
Made in Japan
Ash Body!!
Trans Green
Ayers Rocker V Tremolo (Licensed under Floyd Rose)
L.White pickups
HSS Configuration
Gold Hardware & Gold Mirror Pickguard

Pick your jaw up off the floor and feast your eyes on this spectacular, one of a kind, Tokai Custom Edition Trans Green Dream. Be prepared to clear your calendar because once this baby is in your hands, you won't want to do anything but rock! It has been paired perfectly with gold hardware and a gold pickguard that just scream, "I belong on stage."

The deep, brown rosewood fretboard has micro dot inlays and the maple neck has a comfy medium C profile that is not too thick, but not too thin. Cosmetically this guitar is in great condition with only 1 finish crack on front back top edge and some blushing around the edge of the face of the headstock. Other than that, this emerald gem is near mint. It has been professionally setup for optimal tone and playability and is simply waiting for a rocker to take her home and show her off!

It has just been professionally set up for optimal tone and playability. The action is smooth and the intonation is spot on. It has been deep cleaned. All guitars will arrive looking and playing great. The frets have been dressed/polished and the fingerboard was cleaned. (Unfinished Rosewood and Ebony boards get treated with Fret Doctor - a proprietary all natural oil that is the best on the market) It was professionally set up and has brand new strings, the action was adjusted, the intonation is dialed in and it plays excellent. All the electronics work as they should.

* Neck is Straight and the Truss Rod Works

* Intonation is Perfect

* Professionally Set Up With Nice Action & New Strings

* Frets Dressed & Polished - Shine Like New

Last edited:
SN 219293

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304276200389

Seller's description:

Tokai CUSTOM EDITION

Models not listed in the catalog, made in the 1980s, have arrived!

Since it was not listed in the export catalog, it is presumed that it was a limited model produced in the "Limited Edition" line at that time.

I couldn't identify the exact model name due to the lack of materials, but since the "80" sticker is affixed to the neck heel, I understand that the list price at that time was 80,000 yen.

It has a unique spec with 3 points-supported synchro tremolo, medium scale, and 3 SUPER DRIVE L.WHITE pickups, and you can see that it is a guitar with strong individuality in both appearance and specs.

Although scratches, dents, and usability can be seen on the whole, it is suitable for the age.

The effect of the truss rod is good, and it is OK to adjust both the forward warp correction direction and the reverse warp correction direction sufficiently.
The warp of the neck has been adjusted with a rod, but since it is a slightly old instrument, there is slight distortion and rattling as a whole, but there is no particular problem in playing.
[None] Arm

[Weight] Approximately 3.35 kg

HnZ8Z1c.jpg

v5r6ZNl.jpg

YNngajI.jpg

QZ5LcYt.jpg

L8fxap1.jpg

svJh8iz.jpg

Last edited:
I think i've got a few factory seconds/demo models of these somewhere, next time i go through them i'll keep an eye out for the logo. I know i have a purple HSS one with no pickguard, strat tremolo and the Fender shaped headstock. Also got a JB model with a 2010 serial number and the same logo which is an oddity.

My 1989 (?) Tokai TE80AN Custom Edition with non-original pickguard:

1989 Tokai TE-80A Custom Edition - Full Front.png
1989 Tokai TE-80A Custom Edition - Body Back.png
1989 Tokai TE-80A Custom Edition - Headstock Front.png

1989 Tokai Catalog:

1989 Tokai Custom Edition TE Specs.png

Last edited:
1994 Tokai AST481 YS Custom Edition:

1989 Tokai ST YSO Custom Edition - Full Front Back.jpg

1989 Tokai ST YSO Custom Edition - Neck Plate Serial 018119.jpg
1989 Tokai ST YSO Custom Edition - Headstock Front Back.jpg
1994 Tokai AST481 YS PU Cavity.JPG