Working through some ripples in the early history of Greco and Fujigen...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer J. Simpson

Reaction score
...and I thought maybe someone educated in the history of Greco would find it entertaining to watch me trying to confuse myself with old Grecos and maybe you feel like educating me a little on this?

This was kicked off in another thread where I was led to ask myself "who owns the Greco brand?". That was easy to answer, and then it wasn't - I always thought that's Kanda Shokai's brand but then I saw some things in the trademark registration history that were a bit odd:

- The only trademark Kanda Shokai had applied for was "K.Greco" in 1967. I've never seen that label out in the wild so far, and Kanda has registered more than 60 trademarks before and after that, all on their own behalf, with 2 odd exceptions:

Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 23.15.05.jpg

- The "Gneco" logo was submitted for registration Dec. 13th, 1971 by Fuji Gen Gakki K.K.

- The "Greco" logo was applied for registration only on April 5th, 1977 (seemingly 2 years after it started appearing on headstocks), again by Fujigen.

- The rights holder for both registrations is (now?) Kanda Shokai. Both are still "live" registrations BTW and there is an entry in the history that looks like this:

移転登録済通知書 2012/08/03

"Transfer registration notice" - could that mean the rights were transferred in 2012, or something else? Reading a bit into the JPO procedures, the word "transfer" seems to mean what it looks like?

Unfortunately the Japanese trademark register only has the latest version of each registration dataset stored and doesn't give access to the actual documents , so I cannot see previous rights holders to discount a (still possible) Kanda control. But after all Fujigen applied for the new logo and brand registration once again in 1977, not Kanda. It's not like Kanda doesn't know how to apply for trademark registration.

- Then I noticed the last page of the 1974 catalog, showing these mildly interesting things:

1. The catalog is dated for a change (in the lower right corner): April 1974
2. The front and last pages already show the new Greco logo instead of Gneco, maybe a year before the change was reflected on the instruments and 3 years before Fujigen registered that too..
3. It points out quite specifically that "Greco Guitars are products of Fuji Gen Gakki Mfg. Co.". Not "...made by Fuji......" or "...products of Kanda Shokai". Well, let's not read too much into it.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 01.50.01.jpg

But famous Grecos were made before 1971, and that prompted me to refresh my basic knowledge of Greco's and Fujigen's early history with these oddities in mind.

What I could derive from the common folklore and verify by catalogs etc. is that Goya was a NY import/export business that wanted to expand its second brand "Greco" to complement their Italian "Goya" electrics, sought production in Japan and eventually established Fujigen as their supplier maybe 1966, the 1967 Goya catalog has Japanese Grecos. Greco started to exist 1964 in the USA:

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 23.19.34.jpg

So Greco (including the "Gneco" image mark) was neither a Fujigen nor a Kanda Shokai brand at that time. Meanwhile, the same Greco models were also sold on the domestic market (allegedly beginning 1968), probably with permission from NYC. Who sold them in Japan? It seems there is no "hard" evidence that Kanda was even in the game, all pre-1970s Greco catalogs online are from Goya, USA. That's where the ominous 1967 "K.Greco" trademark registration seems to help confirming that it may have been Kanda indeed.

Looking closer at these late 60s instruments I once again noticed the funny mix of (what appears to be) different manufacturer's traits, sometimes on the same models.

- Which brings up the questions how these features became attributed to a certain factory in first place and when. In other words, do I really always see Matsumoku when I read "STEEL REINFORCED NECK?, or could it be that some known patterns (like "Made in Japan embossed on top of the plate = Mats, lower 3rd of the plate = Fujigen") emerging in the 70s were simply assumed to be applicable to these earlier guitars?

- What would a typical Fujigen-made Greco post-1967 look like, e.g. the neck plate? AFAIK on solid bodies made before 1967 you find the typical "casket"-shaped plates. These seem to be last seen on a few examples of the 910/912 etc. Greco solid body "surf guitars" (which seem to be knock-offs of the Italian-made Goya solid bodies). From there, it's all looking "subcontractor" to me.

Here's why: Let's look at the famous "Shrike" models. A lot of them have this kind of neck plate:

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 11.39.26.jpg
1970 (Kustom distribution label inside) Greco 975 Shrike 12-string neck plate

We know for sure that Matsumoku started using that "STEEL REINFORCED..." line almost consistently in the mid-70s-1980s, but some early 70s Fender and Gibson copies attributed to Mats didn't have that line. So is this neck plate what defines a "Matsumoku Greco" of that era? I'll come back to this neck plate in a minute...

Other Shrikes (also other Greco models) have this neck plate:

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 04.58.12.jpg
Greco Shrike 10-String neck plate

This style of neck plate occurs - let me put this a bit less fact-like - with a high incidence around the former city of Toyoshina with the Teisco Gengakki factory in the center. Teisco Gengakki had a few of years of experience in making bodies for the Teisco main factory in Yodogawa Okegawa, before Teisco went belly up and was bought out by Kawai. Teisco Gengakki (which was an independent offspring of Teisco) did not end up under Kawai's control and continued making parts and guitars for a number of similarly ambitioned but short-lived new brands created by former Teisco managers. They lived on for an unknown number of years before that factory was eventually demolished in the mid-80s.

I should mention at this point that Teisco Gengakki's director Tadashi Maruyama came to Teisco from Fujigen and there were probably more ties between these companies, which often means personal ties in Japanese industrial culture, and it certainly meant that in the Nagano region.

h1061124377.5.jpg
Typical Teisco Gengakki K.K. neckplate still carrying the funny typo they made (assumedly) in the beginning 1967.

Now back to that "Matsumoku" neck plate... with a twist:

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 13.07.47.jpg
Back of a (possibly late) Firstman Baron bass

Firstman was a company started by Kazuo Morioka (Teisco's former Kansai region manager) and the instruments came out of the Teisco Gengakki factory. Most of them have the typical neck plates attributed to that factory, but several examples have this 5-screw plate despite everything still looking typical for the Toyoshina plant. To complete the typical mess, there is even a fancy variation of the Greco Shrike that uses this "Baron" body style.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 15.24.29.jpgScreenshot 2024-09-10 at 15.23.17.jpg

There's that little tidbit about the relation between Fujigen and Matsumoku in Rainer Daeschler's Japan report of the 80s, saying that when the business picked up for Fujigen, they were subcontracting what was to become Matsumoku to produce bodies for them. According to Daeschler and a few more voices, this kind of cooperation ended around 1965.

I can see how this could've been enough to spark the idea that Matsumoku must've been making early Grecos as well, and maybe they did. But I'm currently getting the image that the evidence for that is pretty thin in this specific period 1967-1970. Instead, it looks like even the guitars looking like Matsumoku could've been made by Teisco Gengakki to me, and maybe it was even "just the bodies" for them...again.

The printed evidence supports that this wild era ended with the turn of the decade, when the Greco mark was briefly distributed by Kustom taking over Hershman's NY business in 1970 - Grecos were no longer offered in the 1971 Goya catalog. So Fujigen registered that trademark for Japan in the same year because, if you allow me another blunt speculation, they already had established that brand on the domestic market, and the guitars were (for the most part) their designs anyway. To me that all looks like Fujigen was very much in control of all things Greco guitars at least in this forming era, and there may or may not be indications that this was still the case in 1977.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't mean to (re-)write Greco history (yet lol) though, just sharing my brand new current impressions for review if you will. :) I never really bothered digging into that part of the Greco history, so I didn't expect that this would kick me right back into something I spent more time on in the 2010s - the Teisco history, particularly the part when that history is forking into two quests from hell after 1967.

What I didn't have back then is Sigmania's concept of "scrutinize everything you find or learned before, find hard evidence, don't confuse indications with evidence and don't treat your conclusions as facts unless you have something to prove it". Well, this principle might be only partially applicable to that specific era 1967-1970, but these years with most of the industry in the middle of a crisis are quite interesting and helped me understanding the seeing how "keiretsu" in that industry may have looked like (to the extent the automatic translation and semi-educated interpretation allows).

Here's some massive tl;dr (sorry):

This is mostly because Morioka published his memoirs (and to some extent someone from Yoshino Gakki, forgot the name), reporting about the atmosphere, the private relations between managers and how entangled they were economically. This economic entanglement was what led to the "chain bankruptcy" crash of 1967, when the biggest names in the industry (Guyatone and Teisco) folded within a short time, taking down all the cross-owned store chains, distributors and suppliers and making ripples in everyone else's carpets. Why I'm mentioning this:

Teisco Gengakki (later with the addition "Hanbai") K.K. reportedly "recycled" some debris of this crash, for example buying up Guyatone's parts inventory, using some of that on their own guitars and IIRC briefly also making Guyatone guitars to help out "Guya" Matsuki. This is one reason why using parts to identify those guitars can be a slippery slope. The other is that we have very little knowledge about the suppliers of these parts in general - who made the pickups and all those weird bridges and tailpieces.

One little known fact may help speculating about this: Teisco had its own hardware factory, once again as an independent business under the same name so it didn't become part of Kawai 1967, it even still exists in Okegawa and mentions its origin in the company history. I once emailed them to ask how the business continued after 1967 and most likely did it wrong. However, it's probably safe to assume they didn't drop whatever they had in their hands to start making surgical instruments next day. A pure speculation (telling by the looks of these things) is that they may have been making hardware for other brands too all the time, and that they continued to produce for what Kawai apparently called "Teisco Shoji" at that time and it's not far-fetched to think that they supplied Teisco Gengakki as well.

Teisco_Industry_Yodogawa_City_Okegawa_Saitama.jpg
The hardware factory today

That would explain why all the Honey, Idol, Excetro and apparently also Greco guitars still had so much in common with the new Kawai-controlled export products for the American Teisco (...del Rey etc.) importers Weiss et al., for example that typical roller bridge. On the other hand, this may add a lot to the confusion about all these "probably made by Teisco" guitars - quite possible that more than these two factories were customers of Teisco's hardware factory. Maybe sometimes there's more "Teisco" in a guitar than we think. :)

Last edited:
Cool info Homer. :cool: Not directly related to your specific quest but I happened to score some sort of Kanda Shokai newsletter a while ago in a catalog lot I bought. It basically stated that they have an instrument repair/showroom and also opened a museum with all old gibsons in it for people to view. It included pics of old gibsons with brief descriptions and on the last page it tells of Kanda Shokai releasing 5 new greco guitars. I researched a while back and came up with it being from 73-74 possibly. A Gneco PB-750 bass is pictured.

https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_001.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_002.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_003.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_004.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_005.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_006.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_007.jpg
https://guitarrestos.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/kanda-shokai-pg_008.jpg

Wow, you have cool stuff and that exhibition is a quite interesting information! That also fits into the time when they started offering custom configurations I think? Tetsu Yamauchi joined the Faces 1973 and left 1975, so that confirms the years too.

It often appears to me the Japanese musical instrument industry had a comparatively wide approach in advertising like sponsored radio and TV programs, almost famously beginning with Teisco and their エレキ・トーナメント・ショーGO!GO!GO! band battle show.

Screenshot 2024-09-14 at 14.50.55.jpg
This screen cap isn't even from the original show, it's apparently from some unknown cheesy flick being set on that show. Some of these 60s band battle (radio) shows are even on YouTube and I've read somewhere that Greco sponsored an NHK rock music program in the mid 70s, recently a Greco TV commercial popped up and now this museum thing...

Edit: Here's a clip from that flick:

Last edited:
THANKS, HOMER! I love this stuff. The catalogs say one thing, and everyone has an opinion, but the actual guitars show something else. MIJ Sleuthing is such a maze. As a kid growing up in NYC during the '70s, I thought GRECO was the Japanese domestic version of Ibanez.

Here's a question: Is the 1980 catalog wrong? It show the GRECO EG800PR as a "SUPER POWER," not a "SUPER REAL," and also specifies that it has a "lacquer" finish. I've seen actual Super Real EG800PRs but haven't tested the finish. I've attached a page I had translated using Google. THANKS

Attachments

• greco 1980.ENG.04.png
    greco 1980.ENG.04.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
No idea. The EG800PR is a 'Super Sound' in the 1980 catalog because it's a contemporary model, the EG800GS is the lowest Super Real (=vintage specs) guitar. Catalog specs for the guitars vary a lot over the years and there's errors or apparently a great number of outliers not matching the catalog, stories about surplus -1000 necks ending up on -500 guitars... but that's all beyond my current expertise and a bit beyond the scope of this thread. You'd be better off asking this in a separate thread so people in the know won't miss it.

Good stuff, Puck Luck!

The lauch pic for the Tetsu Yamauchi bass is interesting (it's in the earliest 1974 catalog as well), since it shows a bass with the PB pickup in the normal position, not significantly closer to the neck as on the production version. I suppose it's a prototype, I've never seen one like it in the wild, as it were. It also loses the DX designation, in later catalogs it's just plain PB-750 with a finish code (N or S) added.

They're interesting instruments, I've had a couple and kept one as a home studio player. The new neck pup position changes the tone quite dramatically, the PB clonk is basically gone, and it's quite obvious that the original position is in some kind of sweet spot essential to the classic PB tone. Also, the prototype's rear JB pickup was replaced by an original Greco/Maxon humbucker with a really aggressive sound in the production bass. The result is a bass that plays like a Precision but sounds closer to a Gibson bass, with lots of boom in the neck pup position and a pretty harsh, nasal bridge pickup sound.

To any prospective buyer, I'd recomment going for a 1976-77 model. For the first couple of years, they had maple pancake bodies and were really heavy. Mine is a 1974 model at 5.2 kg and I'm glad that I only need to play it sitting down. During the last year or so the bodies were sen, which brings the weight down to 4.5 kg or so.

Bottom pic is a 1976 PB-750S. The pickguard finish is black paint over the original white.

kanda-shokai-pg_008 PB-750DX.jpg

2023-04-09 09.47.39.jpg

Back