In Search Of... (Tokai Experts, help me!)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jer

Reaction score
I want to get my hands on a particular Tokai - an old friend used to have one, and I've never seen another like it, or been able to find out what model it was... I've looked in all the old catalogs online, etc... to no avail.
Here are the facts I remember:
It's a double-cutaway (basic Strat silouette), with slab-style squared edges (like an Ibanez RG), an Ayers Rocker V double-locking trem system, and H-S-S pickup layout on a black single-layer pickguard. He bought it in 1988, but the shop owner said it had been there a while...
The logo was not Fender-ish, just a simple black script that said "Tokai ______ Series", and then "Oldies But Goodies" in a smaller decal lower down. All the hardware and tuners was black, and the headstock was pretty close to Strat-style. Maple neck, rosewood board.
That's all I remember... Can anyone help?
Thanks,

Jer

Jer said:
It's a double-cutaway (basic Strat silouette), with slab-style squared edges (like an Ibanez RG), an Ayers Rocker V double-locking trem system, and H-S-S pickup layout on a black single-layer pickguard.
Hi, welcome to the forum! Hmmm... I went through all catalogs today searching for a different animal, but I saw at least that Ayers Rocker V tremolo system in the 1986 catalog vol. 12 with their Custom and MAT series. Did you see through that one, too?

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/vol12p8.jpg

How does an Ibanez RG look, by the way, and what do you mean with slab-style squared edges?

Or are you talking about one of those from 1989?

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/v1502.jpg

By the way, Ned, pages 2-4 from the 1987/88 catalog (e.g. the Custom series) are missing while the other pages are available.

It's the right bridge... that's the trem I had in mind.
The guitars you indicated are not the ones, however. The guitar I have in mind looks more traditional, with a strat-style pickguard, headstock, etc...
When I say "slab-style" body, I mean that the edges of the body (what would be the "sides" on an acoustic) are a flat plane, with sharp radiused corners. Picture a Strat body with the body edges like a PRS (sans binding). The Ibanez RG series sprang from the Ibanez JEM, and everyone from Fender (with their Heartfield models) to Tokai started making a "SuperStrat" with the same contours.

I appreciate the info, thanks for taking the time...

Jer

Jer said:
When I say "slab-style" body, I mean that the edges of the body (what would be the "sides" on an acoustic) are a flat plane, with sharp radiused corners.
OK, now I understand. Did that guitar also have a binding on the top? Do you remember if it was made of wood or carbonite? Maybe these were pictured in the 1987/88 catalog which lacks a few pages in the Registry.

Latest posts

Back