Help ID'ing a Tokai Goldstar Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrumpymanjack

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any way of determining the model number of a Goldstar sound without looking under the hood? I have my eye on a guitar that has the script logo from 1984 but the string tree from 83 and before (not the "button" style of later years). It has the original Fender Strat-shaped headstock, maple fretboard and what looks like a metallic blue paint job with white scratchplate. Tuners have "Deluxe" written on the back. There are no other markings on the guitar - not even a serial number on the neck plate.

I know that the TSTs came in at least two or three "quality" levels duing this period, but I'm unsure whether the physical description of the guitar provides enough clues to distinguish between them. Anyone know?

Thanks very much in advance.

We need pics really. They've used the script logo for the last 40 years so may not even be an 80s guitar. They stopped stopped putting serials on neck plates in the 2000s I believe. Does it say Made In Japan anywhere? Where?

Sorry I've edited this about 5 times cos I'm tired and don't read things properly lol.

Last edited:
Hi. That is already SUPER helpful. So what I'm looking at might not be that "vintage" at all. Might not even be MIJ. Hmmmm.

No, it doesn't say Made in Japan anywhere and, as said, it doesn't have a serial number on it. BUT, it does have the tuners with Deluxe stamped on the back. And it has the "FINAL" written on the saddles with what I'm guessing it prospec also written there (can't make it out clearly, though).

Some photos would be infinitely more helpful than a description, even though it’s pretty thorough.

Trus rod adjust at headstock?

Looks like a TST55 MB on the surface.

No idea why there wouldn’t be a serial number on the neck plate.

Any pics of the back of it?

It all depends on when it was made.

If made before mid 1983 it would have U pickups if it’s a legit Goldstar.

After Mid 1983 it would have VII marked Vintage MKII pickups.

But that’s making a lot of assumptions. It could be almost anything as you know. Parts could be from all sorts of guitars including non Tokai parts.

But from a distance, if all is legit, it is probably a TST55 MB. Those were made for a short period. I believe they pretty much disappear in 1985.

But we are guessing without more information.

Not sure what to think about that neck plate. It’s not the sharpest photo.

Also, Tokai hole spacing was the same as Fender at this time so the parts could have been moved around.

I'd pass unless they show pics under the hood and the neck base. Changing the neck plate is usually a sign that other things have been swapped, not always though. Can't see any reason for it.

Thanks very much, ATO. Yes, I think I probably will. Too many unknowns. I'm also off to Japan in a month, so perhaps I should save my money on the hopes of picking up something there - though I have heard that you can forget any ideas about finding bargains!

Back