Hello Hello

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorsban

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope you're all doing ok.

Just a quick background, I've been playing guitar since the late 80s and started composing/recording in the 90s. Nothing serious, just a hobby.

I've owned a bunch of guitars over the years but find that I gravitate towards a thicker sound so basic mahogany/maple humbucker deal.

BUT as much as I have a crazy turnover for strats and teles, I find myself always getting another.

This time around, I knew I couldn't get a high end fender because the temptation to sell trade is too high hehe so I decided on either building from a kit or trying a japanese one with good bones I can slowly build up to original.

Lo and behold, I find this Greco Super Sounds...it says Matsumoku Made in Japan on the backplate and the serial dates it to 1975!!! Wild

1000019134.jpg

I don't know what's original on here beyond the body and neck and maybe the knobs. I know the saddles, pup covers are new.

What I do know for sure is this is probably THE best strat I've ever played in terms of feel. And it just sounds fantastic.

And I've owned a few good one's: 94 Fender American Standard, 2011 American Special, 52ri MIJ Tele.

None of those can match this Greco and I have no idea why that is.

Anyway, I'm hoping to learn more from you guys and hopefully bring this back to a more period-correct state from the mid-70s.

Cheers all!

L

Welcome the the forum!

There’s a Greco section on here. You might want to search through there or post about your guitar in a new thread in that section. Photos always help, especially under the pickguard. Good luck.

Hi and welcome!

There's no great mystery to it really, vintage MIJ guitars are simply that good. Especially the ones made for the domestic Japanese market. Like your Greco, they didn't export their stuff at all back in the day.

Like @Sigmania said, there's forum section for Greco on here, go there and see what you find. Then post your guitar with lots of pics, all details, closeups, internal pics are necessary if you want to determine how original it is, the electronics etc. The devil is truly in the detail if you want to figure these guitars out.

In the meantime, I would assume it's an SE500S model. There was a similar but slightly more upmarket SE600 model at the time as well, but that one has a one-piece neck with a walnut "teardrop" on the headstock and a skunk stripe on the back, this one is a maple cap fretboard. The black pickguard is non-original, they came with white ones only,

Hi and welcome!

There's no great mystery to it really, vintage MIJ guitars are simply that good. Especially the ones made for the domestic Japanese market. Like your Greco, they didn't export their stuff at all back in the day.

Like @Sigmania said, there's forum section for Greco on here, go there and see what you find. Then post your guitar with lots of pics, all details, closeups, internal pics are necessary if you want to determine how original it is, the electronics etc. The devil is truly in the detail if you want to figure these guitars out.

In the meantime, I would assume it's an SE500S model. There was a similar but slightly more upmarket SE600 model at the time as well, but that one has a one-piece neck with a walnut "teardrop" on the headstock and a skunk stripe on the back, this one is a maple cap fretboard. The black pickguard is non-original, they came with white ones only,

Oh interesting! Well, I plan to order a white pickguard.

I've looked at the electronics and it definitely looks like it's been tampered with with some funky wiring. I checked because it sounded like the mid/neck pups were stuck with tone fully rolled off.

The pups and pots look stock but the 5way switch does not look stock.

Yeah, I'm not surprised it's been further modded, if they have been externally, there's usually something going on inside as well. But otherwise: Greco SE's (I've had a couple of dozen through the years) very often still have the original Maxon Excel pickups installed, they're actually really good Strat pickups by any standards.

The original pup switches in pre-1980 Greco Strats are basically all 3-ways (with a few exceptions) and also with a narrower mounting screw pitch than the Fender standard: 32 mm vs 41 mm. Bit of a hassle if you want to install a modern 5-way without drilling extra holes in an original pickguard. You either have to source a rare vintage 32 mm 5-way from somewhere (might take a while, even searching in Japan) or mod a modern 5-way with new screw holes. So you're probably better off getting a new white pickguard rather than an original part.

Yeah, I'm not surprised it's been further modded, if they have been externally, there's usually something going on inside as well. But otherwise: Greco SE's (I've had a couple of dozen through the years) very often still have the original Maxon Excel pickups installed, they're actually really good Strat pickups by any standards.

The original pup switches in pre-1980 Greco Strats are basically all 3-ways (with a few exceptions) and also with a narrower mounting screw pitch than the Fender standard: 32 mm vs 41 mm. Bit of a hassle if you want to install a modern 5-way without drilling extra holes in an original pickguard. You either have to source a rare vintage 32 mm 5-way from somewhere (might take a while, even searching in Japan) or mod a modern 5-way with new screw holes. So you're probably better off getting a new white pickguard rather than an original part.

3 way? Hmm...I think I prefer this 5 way better so I have more options. And yes, I have a white pickguard on the way.

As much as I want this original tho, I don't think it's over practical to go 100%. So, it's gonna be with some modern changes.

Maybe a baja switch later on - I loved it on my old tele. Gave me that nice meaty tone - almost like a boost of sorts.

Back