Ceriatone JTM45

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnA

Reaction score
I've just recieved my ceriatone JTM45 clone, I'm so excited I just had to tell everyone :D I'm at work now so it will be another 4 hours before I get to plug in, but if it sounds as good as it looks it should be killer!

The workmanship is amazing, I have never seen such neat soldering/wiring in my life!

Congratulations for new baby!
I`m GASsing one too, or maybe Liverpull, or Expression.... Could you tell me how it sounds. I`m interested in particularly clean sounds and how loud it is. When it starts to "break"? Did You order "in stock" or did You prefer mods (and if yes, which ones)? What cabinet, guitar (-s), PU`s and speakers do You use? Any knowledge at all would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Well, I've been home for two hours, I'm happy, the girlfriend isn't and the neighbours probably hate me :D

I'm using a Marshall powerbrake attenuator at home, without the attenuator this thing gets VERY loud and stays clean all the way up to unbearbly loud! Starts to break-up with humbuckers with the gain on about 4, single coils 5-6, gets very AC-DC with the gain about 8 and very Jimmy Page with the gain all the way up.

Totally stock. I was going to get a master volume fitted, but decided that was for poofs :wink: I'm seriously considering getting powerscaling installed though.

Currently tried it with a Greco EGF850, and a tokai ST80, it sounds great with both, definetely nicer that my Marshall Vintage-Modern. I'm using the Marshall VM 4x12 with 25 Watt Greenbacks.

Must get back to it now :D

JTM45s are my favourite amps. I currently gig a JTM45 clone made from Ceriatone parts built by a friend of mine. I'm in a blues band and an AC/DC cover band and it's perfect.

You need to try an SG into the top left input with:

Presence = 3
Bass = 3
Middle = 6
Treble = 4
High Treble Volume = 7
Normal Volume = 0

Guitar volume on 6 or 7 for rhythm and 10 for leads. It's Angus country ;)

Bugger! I'll have to buy an SG now! A nice beat up cherry one mmmmm!

I've been told to shut up now! Initial impressions are amazing, looking forward to the weekend when I can really wind it up!

Nice to hear very positive feedback about the Ceriatone amps, I'm shortly placing an order for the one for me - a Ceriatone Overtone Special (50w), their take on the Dumble Overdrive Special of course. I have the vintage Celestion G12 65's ready too!. A Fuchs or Two Rock equivalent is just out of my price range plus I think I'd get a good resale price should I ever want to that is...
I'm probably going to order the fully built amp but get a cabinet made up here (it's about $900 plus shipping and customs charges + VAT that we get hammered with)
I know someone who has one and he sold almost all his overdrive pedals and other amps not long afterwards plus within 6 months, he was a much cleaner player - everything is exposed with one of these.

exgibsonuser, I'm sure you 'll love it, the quality of these amps far exceeds what you would expect the selling price, even with VAT/Duty they are amazing value!!

Mick(leadguitar 323) has ordered one as well.
I'm going to wait til his get's here and see what it's like....prolly order one.

leadguitar_323 said:
I'm getting mine with Mercury magnetics Pt, Ot and choke... :p can't wait... :wink:

Mick
8) Great Mick. Do you get it alrady equipped with Mercury stuff from Nick at CT? Or is it a mod off Ceriatone?

I am getting Mercury to send the transformers and choke to Ceriatone and Nick will fit them there. He is very easy to deal with and is prepared to do anything within reason..... :)

Mick

Personally I would have saved the money, the Ceriatone standard transformers sound fine! Still, MM have a great reputation so even if the improvement is only small, you might as well get the best!!

Nik was very helpful when I got mine, and everyone I know that's dealt with him says the same.

bumping this one from the grave.

i'm considering one of these and curious if you've still got the amp and if so, what are your thoughts on it as far as the sound, reliability, etc?

If i get one, I'll just get it stock and have my friend who builds titan amps install an fx loop (much better than nik's) and possibly upgrade the transformers.

I'd go with the heyboers. Mercury is overpriced and over-hyped.
________
Digital Scales

Yes, I've still got it, although it's up for sale in the classified section at the moment. Sound- the best Marshall cleans you will hear, very Fender Bassman. Reliablity - it's never missed a beat! Only selling as it's not getting used, it's too loud for the band I'm in!

As for changing the transformers, the power transformer has no effect on the tone at all, and Nik's OT's sound as good as anything else out there, I haven't tried a heyboer, but would put money on it not making any improvement over the standard Ceriatone OT.

JohnA said:
it's too loud for the band I'm in!

I have this same problem with Marshalls and their clones but in my case is at the recording studio and at home :lol:

Have you ever tried any low wattage Marshall clone?

ganzua said:

I have a home-built 18W TMB, and I'm currently working on a JTM-18, which will, with a bit of luck, sound just like my JTM-45 but put out 18 Watts.

Lucky me! I found one not too far away a guy is looking to sell to pay bills.

It's a mojo kit that was built by the guy from guttermouth electronics

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2460817

$700 shipped :eek:
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

JohnA said:
ganzua said:

I have a home-built 18W TMB, and I'm currently working on a JTM-18, which will, with a bit of luck, sound just like my JTM-45 but put out 18 Watts.

home built with a kit? can you drive the amp at bedroom levels or is it yet too loud?

spit it out! :lol:

ganzua said:
home built with a kit? can you drive the amp at bedroom levels or is it yet too loud?

spit it out! :lol:

Not a kit, it's based on a ceriatone 18W TMB, but with a few tweaks to use 6V6 valves instead of EL84's, I sourced all the parts in the UK, a lot of them from www.valvepower.co.uk, his transformers are excellent and very cheap! I have also installed VVR (Variable Voltage Regulation) which is like powerscaling so you can run the amp at bedroom levels and still retain the tone. Without the VVR and 18W is much too loud to use at home :D

Latest posts

Back