Late 80's Burny LP flametop?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxman13

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've come across a real nice Burny that is said to be a late 80's. It had the truss rod cover that had the points sticking out on the sides. It has a nice light colored flame top, fret-edge binding, no headstock inscription except "Burny", and was made without a pickguard. There are no screw holes for one, either. Anyone have an idea on what model/level or configuration this might be? I'd also obviously like to know if it has a cap or veneer, and what pickups it could have, as well as a ballpark on what I should pay for it. I know that's a lot of info to ask for without a pic or two, but I was n't able to figure out how to load them here. (Tech dinosaur.)

It's in near mint shape, and is beatiful, but I wanted to run it by the board here first to gather what info I could, before I went any further on it. The owner wants $550 for it, which SOUNDS like a great deal! Just want to be sure, though. Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

If someone can assist in telling me how to post pics, I may be able to get a couple on here. Thanks.

Play all night!

Just head over to http://www.photobucket.com and start an account there. You can then upload the pictures there and then either paste the link to the photos here or copy and paste the IMG code into your message.

Kenmac, thanks for the help on the pics.

These pics are in relation to the above mentioned post about the late '80's :{ Flametop. I know the truss rod cover does not match a late '80's Burny. He changed it. The fret-edge binding is usually on higher end models I guess, but the lack of a Super Grade decal makes me wonder just what it is. I guess my question is...is it worth the $550 he's asking?

Burny_08t.jpg

Burny_07t.jpg

Burny_04t.jpg

Burny_03t.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, I've got to let this guy know if I'm going to take it. Many thanks again, Kenmac

You're welcome. That's a really good looking guitar. Sorry I can't help you out with it as I'm not really an expert on Burnys but I'm sure somebody will be able to give you some advice soon.

Can you play it? Looks pretty clean for an 80's...could be 90's or newer. The color on the back doesn't looks 80's to me (but that really means nothing). Most probably Veneer AND a cap. I know my Veneer Burny's have a big maple cap, like 1/2 inch or so, then a thin Veneer over that. Is there a serial # stamped on back of HS?

Looks like a nice guitar. If it plays good, I would think it's hard to go wrong for $550 if it's MIJ.

Oh, if you cannot see it in person, see if he can send you a Pic of the back of headstock. If I remember right, the ones with a stamped (in white I think) # on the back may not be MIJ.

Latest posts

Back